Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Need help with a film script  (Read 5906 times)

tobtob_79

• Joined Aug 2010
Need help with a film script
« on: August 20, 2010, 07:09:10 pm »
Hello everyone! I've been working on a story almost entirely based on a small-holiding - the idea, though not the plot, is the character is making an attempt to live 'off the grid' (as she will also be trying to harness solar energy amongst other things). She does not particularly succeed.

I've got a pile of books that leap straight into enormous detail. What I'm really looking for (as deadlines are closing in) is more of an idea of day to day life! If she were to have a reasonable sized vegetable garden, a chicken coup, possibly two cows, and a half-acre orchard with two or three types of fruit tree how might the structure of her day work?

The character needs to be run off her feet, she's alone and can't really handle what she's trying to do. It might be worth adding she's supposed to have been building this up for 3 years now, the solar panels being her current obstacle (or wind turbine as an alternative).

Any help or advice - even superficial - would probably be quite useful at the moment!

Thanks in advance! - Tobias

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
Re: Need help with a film script
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 07:17:37 pm »
is she to be practical with her actions, looking at what she can and can't keep ,
or is she the sort of person that would cram a pig in a small town garden, is she knowlegable about small holding, or a complete novice starting at the deep end.

remember to keep things realistic, remember the changing of priorities as the months come and do.

not much help, but it might prompt others replies

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 07:32:51 pm »
with the exception of your character being single handed, your story sounds like my life - especially the run off her feet bit  ;D
I think Cameron mentioning changing work load as seasons vary reflects smallholding in my own life - currently all the plums are in and our life is chaos!
I know my mood swings from happy and pleased to be living this life style to complete "what the heck are we doing?!" depending on how exhausted we are!! not sure if this helps at all!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

tobtob_79

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 07:44:35 pm »
Ha, sounds like you have a fun active life though!

Thanks for those quick responses and good points. As of 3 years ago she was a complete novice - she will have started with very little (though she bought up a nice plot of 3 to 4 acres possibly in Cornwall, not too far from the coast... I'm still exploring locations) and grown it over time; first vegetable patch, which itself would have grown in variety and size, then one group of animals - the easier - then the other... she trades locally for meat so animals are for dairy only.

The story is set over one week in late spring - so fortunately it's a very contained stint. Though you're right that it needs to be realistic whilst still dramatic (but based on plumseverywhere's response the drama might just flow naturally!). It is one short period of time, but it would be great to have indications that her life does vary season to season. Obviously there'll be one big batch of research between script and shoot - so everything needed at this stage are the day to day things that will directly affect her over this week: what time she's up, what she does first, last, bed time (roughly) best way to store things, how quickly she might need to get rid of things (as in traded on versus kept for another time) and so on.

This is how the story starts - it's completely disrupted and, as I say, it's not about the running of the small-holding, but it does take place whilst the plot moves us forwards.

I hope that paints a slightly better picture of the character and her life!

Thanks again! - Tobias

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 07:45:30 pm »
MAybe what you need is a few of us to give you a list of things we do on a daily basis, perhaps with an add on as to how it changes between summer and winter.
Right now I have 5 dogs, a cat, 10 hens, a duck, a drake and 6 eggs in the incubator.  I only have an acre and it's mainly garden just now, but trying over time to make it look less cultivated and more loved.
My routine is get up, shower, feed house dog and cat, feed fish, have breakfast, tidy up kitchen, take house dog out(she had an op not long ago so still being kept away from the others to avoid being bumped), let outside dogs out and feed,open up hen houses and duck house, feed birds, clean duck run (hosing down), check for eggs, surface clean inside sheds, replace fresh straw, remove old wet straw form run, replace with straw for sheds, take dogs for a run.  Lunchtime.  Half an hour training with youngster, top up training with older dogs that also work, come inside for coffee time, check forum, make bed and hoover bedroom, check for eggs from late layers, box up all eggs ready for neighbours to collect, chat to neighbours.  Also fit in phone calls, reading mail, shopping, cleaning etc - doesn't sound a lot when typed out like that!  I'm retired so no timetable to adhere to.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 07:54:06 pm »
spring time you wouldnt' expect much happening in the orchard - most tree fruit would be summer/early autumn (at least it is here - plums apples and pears as well as berries)
she would be planting a fair bit in the veg patch I would think (early potatoes, beans, brassica's - maybe would need a green house/polytunnel or 3?!)
chickens just starting to lay again after having a bit of a break over winter.still need to do the daily care - water/feed/clean out on certain days.
she could still have quite a bit of food left over in storage (chickens in freezer?  maybe having bartered a lamb or 2 from a neighbour, preserved jars and bits from last years harvests.)
if she had goats instead of cows you could have them escaping every other day like ours do lol  ;)
Lisa

Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 08:00:52 pm »
Spring time is more of the prep time, getting everything done, all the fix it jobs unable to be done over the winter. 
I too would say goats are a better choice than cows. The cockerels may also be twitterpated, and the hens turning broody, early starters may allready have chicks.

What sort of winter was it (hard/mild), is she under financial stress due to high winter feed bills, is she getting new stock

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 09:22:45 pm »
sorry to go off topic (!) but Cameron what is twitterpated? what a fab word!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 09:49:40 pm »
Hey, guys, I think it's us that should be writing this book - will we get any royalties for helping you out, Tobias? ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sandy

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 10:14:52 pm »
Maybe
twitterpated
means using twitter too much, maybe the Cockeral is techno minded!!
Anyway, if she is anything like me, I think on the spur of the moment and usualy get into a mess, if I had not got a man around I would take ages to do stuff. I have chickens and a pair of DUcks but as I run a B&B, thats enough..and of course our 4 labs, mind you, they are very little trouble, back on track now, I get myself into messes and do several jobs at once, rarly do I take egg boxes to collect eggs and usualy put them in my pockets and mess up the phone that is also in the pocket, I walk buy plants and prune them and the bits also go into my pockets and on walks, my pockets get filled with treats, weeds for the chickens and berries......I would hazzard a guess that a lot of us work like me...unplanned and multitasking!!! I never get bored as I don't evenknow whats comming next ;)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 09:03:53 am »
 ;D  thanks for that Sandy!!  a techno cockeral!!

I'm like you with the eggs - they are usually in my fleece pocket and the amount of times Ive got inthe kitchen , leant on the work surface and heard 'crack' - oh yuck!!

I think if I was running a smallholding with out hubby or my 4 children I would be spending more time with my animals - chatting to them etc, I can really see myself doing that.

Sandy

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 09:40:02 am »
I would too, I use to sit and talk to the chickens all the time, we have a very fat ex battery and I call her BIG SANDY!! I am soo much into muti tasking, thats OK if I am not distracted but I do jobs everywhere I go and sometimes leave them half done, like leaving my polish and bucket in a guest room or leaving the pan from boiling rice, up with the chickens...the pups, now 8 mths, keep me on the ball as they chew things up if I leave them around.......I think a lot of TV shows portray someone doing a job and focusing on it, I rarely do that!!!

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 10:54:47 am »
This plot sounds like you are writing the life story of my boss, margaret. granted she inherited the land recently but she grew up on it and she is gutsy and willing to try her hand at everything
Ian

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 12:59:30 pm »
i was meaning the twitterpated, from Bambi ,where all the birds are falling in lurve  ::)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2010, 01:49:44 pm »
Ah!! Cameron I should have guessed that!!! Scarlett my 3 year old watches bambi almost daily - still a fab word!!

When I think of a woman on her own trying to manage the land I keep getting flashbacks to that bit in 'Gone with the wind' when Scarlett O hara is trying to plough her land by hand against a red sky "As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again!" cue box of tissues and large box of chocs as I go dig that dvd out and make my 4 girls sit through it!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS