Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: wild geese here already  (Read 2086 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
wild geese here already
« on: August 21, 2010, 10:29:34 pm »
Loads and loads of geese here for a few days now - as much as I love them but it is far too early, what does that mean?? Did they run out of food in Greenland, are we getting a bad and early winter?? Apparently it is also a breed that usually stops on the Hebrides! :&>

Hardfeather

Re: wild geese here already
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 08:52:41 am »
If they are a species which usually winter on the hebrides, that's probably where they are heading. They will fed their way across the country.

Being on the east coast means that we are often the first to see many species of wintering birds as they meet land after crossing the north sea. Depending on where they have come from, and what winds prevailed on their journey, the first geese usually arrive within a fortnight either side of 1st September. They increase in numbers steadily through September as they cross the country to their traditional wintering grounds, then most of the sightings are of large skeins commuting between roosts and food sources.

Looking back my diaries, I find that it's not that unusual to see geese this early in the year. It is possible that there are more geese this year because of the ban on shooting them during the late part of last winter. If more went home to breed, and were successful, there may well be pressure on their summer feeding grounds, so they may be leaving there slightly earlier this year.

What species are these near you, NFD?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 09:13:59 am by AengusOg »

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 09:02:52 am »
It's the Canadian geese that I've seen and heard a lot of. It's funny 'cos I have mentioned that my Roman goose has took up with a Greylag (they are so in love) and her partner who was a Canadian has not been seen for almost a week - since I first heard the wild ones. I think he has took off with his mates and madam has decided to stop here and "sponge" off me. I hope after this long she is not just teasing him and then takes off. ::) :P

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 09:33:00 am »
Someone said they are Barnacle geese, not the Pinkfoot or Greylags we usually get here later on the same fields. They do look a bit like Canadian geese, maybe the guy was not quite right there. will post a pic once we manage to take one. They are so pretty - my first response is always "I want some" ::) :&>

Hardfeather

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 06:08:04 pm »
Barnacle Geese from Greenland winter in Ireland and the Hebrides. Those from Svalbard in Norway winter on the Solway Firth.

They are quite small, but very striking in their black and white plumage.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS