Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Idea for the forum.....Dan!!  (Read 3128 times)

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
Idea for the forum.....Dan!!
« on: August 20, 2010, 02:38:34 pm »
Hi Dan,  ;D

someone posted some information on the Pig section that got me thinking. Could we possibly have a sub-section in all of the animal sections (or any others that may be appropriate) which could be where we can store, or list, important information. For example lists of essential items for tacing animals to slaughter, important legislation changes, useful items for lambing or farrowing, lists for animal first aid, basic requirements for starting out with various animals, documentation lists etc. People can compare advice from different quarters too!

It would be a ready and easy way of accessing essential info, rather than trawling the whole site!

would this be possible? is it something others would like to see????? ???
cheers Emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: Idea for the forum.....Dan!!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 03:23:29 pm »
Sounds like a quck and easy way to find things when you need that little bit of info to help you out of a situation.

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 03:39:23 pm »
Hi Dan,

That "someone" was me.

I think personally that would be a great Idea - but I do have one concern, as follows:

I think it would only work if the individual topics were locked to prevent irrelevant posts being added, ie. people should be presented with the facts in a straightforward way and in an easy to read format, without having to wade through the personal experiences and opinions of everyone, these should be saved for the "general" sections.

Then as possible changes to legislation etc occur the moderators or originator of the original post should be the ones adding to it / amending it as necessary.

I am a member of several technical forums, and it is soooo frustrating having to wade through 10 pages or so of people posting just for the sake of it to get to the technical facts.

Many Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 03:43:48 pm »
Could be done as a "sitcky" i.e. a thread that always stays at the top of the sub-forum page, like the "marketplace rules" thread.
Agree should be locked and properly to ensure it is concise and useful.
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 04:16:18 pm »
Just adding my support to the suggestion, as I did in the thread.
I agree stickies might be helpful and also agree with SforS about locking them.

Gordon M

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 04:58:33 pm »
A very good idea in my opinion, as you all know, there is some excellent information on this forum but finding things that you want to read again can quite time consuming.

Sandy

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 06:13:01 pm »
I am a very random and disorganised person and would love to just pick out some posts that would be useful to me instead of looking them up, although I often use the search!!

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 10:34:32 pm »
Sorry guys....not glory hunting..... didnt mean it was all my idea  ::)....end of a tiring day and night,  and the typing brain is slow!! SfS your not just 'someone' i know  ;D !!! it has all come out wrong, so really sorry if i have offended ;). I am sure you are not upset, but just so ye ken!!

anyway still think its a grand idea!! :-*

cheers Emma T

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 10:56:38 am »
SfS your not just 'someone' i know  Grin !!! it has all come out wrong, so really sorry if i have offended Wink. I am sure you are not upset, but just so ye ken!!

Hi Emma, no offence taken - I have always wanted to be "Someone"  ;D

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 06:10:25 pm »
I hope to include this sort of stuff in the main TAS site when we relaunch it.

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 09:17:33 pm »
OK SfS.....you are my 'someone', my very own 'someone'!!!

Now go make me a cup of tea....LOL.
Emma T

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS