Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rabbiting lamps  (Read 3403 times)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Rabbiting lamps
« on: August 20, 2010, 12:44:48 pm »
Can anyone reccomend a lamp for rabbiting?

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
Re: Rabbiting lamps
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 08:18:27 pm »
something with a coloured lens, (red)

lots on the market, i would also suggest one with a car plug adaptor

Hardfeather

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 09:41:05 pm »
Much depends on how you plan to kill the rabbits.

If you are working lurchers, you need a lamp with a cowl so that you illuminate the rabbit but not yourself or too much of the surrounding landscape.  For shooting, it's not so important to have a cowl as the lamp is either gun-mounted, or someone else is operating it, allowing the shooter to position him/herself correctly so as to remain hidden.

The 'Gamekeeper and Countryman, paper has a full page ad in most publications. 'Shooting Times' is another. Or here http://www.wighillparkguns.co.uk/products/products_category.asp?cat=141 Some people favour red filters and claim they decrease the potential for spooking rabbits, but they do decrease the range of the beam to an extent.

I like the variable power option as there are often occasions when less light is a good idea, such as when moving between areas, crossing fences, checking weapons for faults or dogs for injuries, etc., saving much battery power, thus extending operating time.

If you are planning to lamp with lurchers, you will need a lamp and portable power source. If you plan to shoot from a vehicle you will be able to use a hand-held plugged into the cig lighter, or a roof-mounted to the same source, or wired directly to the battery. The latter are operated from the interior of the vehicle.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 09:35:33 am »
Thanks for all that. I plan to use a whippet on occasion otherwise I will hold the lamp and my nephew use his rifle. We are overrun with the little dears and the whippets can only catch a few before they've scarpered!

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 01:46:05 pm »
You can also get a small laser which clips on your rifle. The laser mount lets you align the beam with the rifle - like a telescopic sight. If you have a telescopic sight, you can use the laser with it.

obviously, the laser doesn't light up the countryside so you can only use it when there is a little light left in the sky - about 1 hour either side of dawn and dusk.

They only cost a few pounds so it isn't a big investment if you can't get on with it.

NN
Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 09:42:42 am »
Thank's all!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS