Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Almost farrowing time  (Read 8845 times)

HappyHippy

Almost farrowing time
« on: August 16, 2010, 01:43:46 pm »
Well, Adelaide my kune kune was moved into her maternity unit yesterday. She's settled well, though is missing the other two. Her bump has dropped and her back end is swollen up (though not quite huge and puffy yet) her udder is bagged up, but not yet showing any signs of milk. She's got her nest all ready and we're checking her every couple of hours - I'm expecting piglets today or tomorrow.
I'm excited, but terrified too ! Have read and re-read all my books from cover to cover and have gloves, antibiotics, oxytocin (spelling ?) and anti-inflamitory as well as iron for the piglets and all assorted needles - any last minute tips or thing's I'm missing ?
Oh I'm like a flapping granny  ::) I'll keep you all updated with our progress  ;D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Almost farrowing time
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 05:31:50 pm »
Congratulations in advance.  Why iron for the piglets?

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 06:04:58 pm »
Sorry, just read that as 'Why Iron the piglets?'   ;D

Congrats in advance - I was like it last Sunday - there are very few feelings like it when they first appear and you give them the rub down!!!

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 06:43:04 pm »
Hi Hilarysmum, my friend's hubby brought me a 'goody bag' and said he gives piglets a dose of iron at 3 days. He works on a commercial pig farm, and the more I think about it the more I doubt I'll actually need it, as she's been on grass right up til yesterday (unlike the pigs he looks after :'() so should be fine. But apparently it's good for perking them up (this is just what he told me, I've no experience of whether it's true or not)
Captain - I've got a towel at the ready  ;)

The last time I checked her (about an hour ago) her vulva seems not as swollen as before, but the area around it has changed colour (she's a black pig, but this area looks grey) and it's slightly raised - and when she 'talks' to me it seems to push out 4 or 5 inches, her udder's firm, but I wouldn't say hard. Maybe she's not as close as I had thought earlier, but I suspect it'll be a sleepless night all the same  ;) If it's not babies, it's pigs !  ::)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 08:11:10 pm »
hope all goes well for you and Adelaide....
:)
Little Blue

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 08:20:43 pm »
Getting excited for you, please post some photos.  :pig: :pig: :pig:

Re ironing the pig - would that get the wrinkles out of Hilary's legs she looks more and more like Norah Batty

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 06:24:10 am »
Good luck Karen.......Let us know how it goes.

Piglets that are outside get all the iron and minerals they need from the ground.  If she is inside with them you could always put a big lump of grass with mud on for them to root around in.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 08:04:31 am »
Good luck! I'm hoping for some early next year, very nerve racking I'm sure but exciting for you :-)

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 02:19:47 pm »
Well after a night of 2 hourly checks in some of the heaviest rain we've had this summer (never fails does it ? ;D) We've still not got any piglets  :-[ But her milk's in now and she's very puffy at the back. She's also grunting kinda rythmically (almost like she's doing her breathing excercises) so it's hourly checks and hopefully I'll be able to post some photos soon  ;) Thank you everyone for your kind words, obviously it's no good to the pig whatsoever - but it's keeping me calm !  ;D ;D ;D

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 02:22:08 pm »
Don't you just hate the waiting game? It was very heavy rain here through the night too but sunshine at last. Hope all goes well and look forward to pictures - soon!  :)

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 12:37:07 pm »
Erm, we're still waiting  :-\
Maybe I was a day or two out with my calculations - one thing's for sure, when hubby leaves me with the 4 kids and goes out to work tonight, she's going to start ! It never fails does it lol!
Hopefully I'll have some photos (and piglets) soon - the waiting is driving me NUTS !!!!!!!!!!

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 05:09:55 pm »
I was out by four days, which made no sense whatsoever at the time although first piglet was breach with legs forward so don't know if that had anything to do with it.

It's a horrible waiting game - has her milk come in yet?

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 08:14:04 am »
Any news HH? :pig:

HappyHippy

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 10:25:26 am »
Still nothing I'm afraid  :-[
Her milk is definately in and her udder is hard now. Back end is swelling SLOWLY ! Oh I hope it's soon, I'd rather have another baby myself - it's less stressfull lol!
Hopefully have some news later today  ???

Susie

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 06:57:10 pm »
I must've checked this thread a dozen times today!  ;D Any news yet? :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS