Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Software for smallholders (Maybe?)  (Read 9413 times)

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
Re: Software for smallholders (Maybe?)
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2010, 04:46:40 am »
Hi everyone,

Well Ill be honest; I'm not sure how I'm going to present this once its compiled. :-\

As most of you are aware, forum content can be accessed via search engines, including this thread: My concern now is, a company seeing this and taking up the batton and producing software on the back of our hard work.  ::) So; maybe, with the consent of TAS of course; invite people, with their permission, to have details sent via email or have it accessible on my server and allow access to it with a password, handed out to interested members.  ??? Well ill give that some thought.  ::)

I'm currently typing a list of proposed content for the software, based on peoples ideas and requests, I'm starting with Poultry/Wildfowl & Sheep for now; no other reason than I currently have more info at hand for that topic: i would like it very much if you would kindly agree to take a look at the content; comment on it, add to it, recommend changes or ripe it to shreds  :D its a case of working out whats need, without providing so much that its cluttered and a nuisance for you to use: We have to concider people that have small flocks as well as those with larger flocks and not forgetting those who diversify into other uses for their end product such as clothing etc; Ill be honest its a bit of a labyrinth right now  :'( Still! Persevere and Forwards.

There will now be a bit of a gap whilst I type away and hammer the grey cells. let you know when I have something for you to peruse, feel free to add stuff or even PM me ideas   :wave:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 05:23:12 am by Cobra »

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2010, 07:13:37 am »
As a poultry & sheep  owner I'd be happy to test drive anything you come up with  :)

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2010, 03:10:07 pm »
As a poultry & sheep  owner I'd be happy to test drive anything you come up with  :)

Thats what I like to hear  ;) Willing victims  :o Oh Ah  :-[ participants  ;D

At this stage all I have is a list of items that could possibly be used in the software, when thats ready, would love some feedback.

When I have a Beta version, that works and is safe to install on your PC; Ill let you know.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 03:13:35 pm by Cobra »

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 03:37:05 pm »
Have you though of making it a web based application?

I'd be glad to help beta test anything and give my opinions on usability and interface design.

Ta

Baz

Susie

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 09:32:13 pm »
 :wave: Add me to the list of volunteers - more than happy to help.

Susie

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2010, 09:39:19 pm »
I've only got 6 chickens and am only semi literate on the pc but would be happy to see how much my little venture costs or has costed me. I figure I would be your most basic user  :)

It may help me to find out how many more animals I need to start having them pay back.............may need bigger house! Don't forget to add the mortgage section  ;D

Good luck with your venture and let me know if I can help.

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2010, 03:13:20 am »
Thank you all so very much for your inspiration and enthusiasm, huge thanks to the ones who are happy to try out the new software if it comes to fruition; I hope I can get to a stage where we have a product to test and use. It's such a lot of work, in the software houses, we had departments and teams, each person good at one aspect or another and some stuff could take months or years to produce, so i have my work cut out on my Tod at home, but hell, thats what life's about challenges  ;D.

i have been side tracked today and getting ahead of my self i often do this start looking at stuff thats no were near ready, so Possible name "Smallholder Servant" Possible look of the software its self well Ive been playing with that also.

Please don't take any of this as whats to come: Its NOT a working program, I was simply looking at a user interface and ideas on how it may look.

Baz I have considered a kind of web based application, I already run a few sites etc. Being in the sticks here, I'm used to slow broadband and intermittent service ;D that would be a concern, as people will want to be able to access their records and software daily without relying on the net. That said, there could well be a place for some sort of web based stuff, never say never.

Ian, I am very pleased that someone with a small amount of animal's is also interested, after all, the idea is to try and make a product that will benefit people at all levels or at least thats the hope and for me its fun trying if I'm honest. I'm the same as you Ian, I have a few chooks and a couple of ducks at this time and yes, you can easily loose track of what its costing  :-\ Mind you! Thats probably just as well  ??? not sure I want to know my start up amounts :D

Were all just slightly mad I think, with a bit of self indulgence, enjoyment and self achievement thrown in there someware; now that cant be a bad thing.  ;)

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2010, 08:23:47 am »
Looking good so far Cobra  :)

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS