Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Renting land for 'smallholding'  (Read 2605 times)

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
Renting land for 'smallholding'
« on: August 20, 2010, 09:05:38 am »
Does anyone (like me - a townie with aspirations?) rent land that they keep animals on?

Is it feasible? Can it be done?

How much land? What do you keep on it? How much does renting farmland cost?

Any thoughts/opinions/experiences from you experienced lot would be much appreciated. ;)

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
Re: Renting land for 'smallholding'
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 11:35:20 am »
Hi yes I rent some land for money and have some free for the grazing I don't pay a great deal as I maintain and renew the fences etc, I was lucky as I lived near to a very overgrown 4 acre field with good fencing which I asked about for keeping a few sheep and as people got to know me and I got to know them I acquired more. I know have a flock of Shetland sheep of about 50 including this years lambs, about 100 bantams mostly wyandottes and Scots greys, A Shetland  and a palomino pony that belong to my daughter. I break even or make a small profit most years by selling my surplus stock. Its a lot of work after working all day at my main job but I enjoy it. If I could give some advice, If you really really really are very very keen go for it and make friends with the farming comunity as they are the people in the know about land for rent etc, Also lots of very helpful folks on this site     
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS