Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Animal Welfare Issue  (Read 2872 times)

SouthernStar

• Joined Apr 2018
Animal Welfare Issue
« on: April 03, 2018, 11:15:01 pm »
Good Evening,
I have a big dilemma. The farm beside me have issues with animal welfare, they hold both sheep and cattle on a rented property from the crown estates. Over the years sheep have been left to die in the fields, and if in remote areas not collected. Cattle have been left with large overgrown hooves, or in an emaciated state until they eventually die. Dead and collected livestock are left lying about the farmyard until collected by the disposal company. My dilemma is that I get on ok with the farmer, but not the son, who has  been very confrontational over the past year. So much in fact I've stopped speaking to the father. My company has been degraded in vile facebook postings by him, and threats made to shoot my geese, ducks and chickens if seen in his fields. During the Beast from the East snow storms I rescued a newly born calf from a snowdrift and herded them both back to his farm undetected. The cow was described by the farmer as feisty and appeared in another field recently with calf when the other cows were put out from the barn, however at night when they were put back in this cow and calf remained in the field. The son just opens the gate and cows wander back to barn on their own. Yesterday, concerned for the calf I walked down the track which they were both stood beside in the field. The calf was saturated, weak looking and shivering. I took some photos of the poor calf and mother. On my way home tonight as I drove up the track, I noticed the cow standing alone. On walking back down I spotted the calf dead and lying in the burn, of which I also have photos. The track is used regularly throughout the day by the farmer and son, and with the temperature drop over the past couple of days, and the snowfall should have been more than aware of the vulnerability of the calf.
The dilemma is do I use these photos to talk to the farmer, to get him to do something about the son, or do I just contact Animal Welfare (or SSPCA) and let things take they're course? Would it result in any convictions and the loss of their tenancy? Would I suffer more hassle from them?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Animal Welfare Issue
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 09:27:18 am »
I can only tell you what I'd do - and I couldn't stand and watch this. I'd contact SSPCA, Police, Rural Payments, Crown Estate, Council's Animal Welfare - with photographs.

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
  • Herefordshire/Shropshire Border
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 09:44:12 am »
It sounds to me like speaking to them will be a total waste of time, as they will ignore you anyway.  They are already aware of the issues, but chose to ignore them, so reporting the to an authority is the only way to achieve remedial action.   

Your other option is to 'turn a blind eye' in the hope of not upsetting them, but I personally could not do that. 

If you speak to them and nothing changes, they will know for certain that you have reported them, but I am sure they will be blaming you anyway so brace yourself for the fallout. 

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 02:03:22 pm »
I don't see any point in speaking to the farmers at all. It will make things more difficult between you, better to make a report and ask that you not be named in it

SouthernStar

• Joined Apr 2018
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 09:52:41 pm »
SSPCA were a complete and utter waste of time! About as professional and dignified as a Bull in a China Shop! I advised them not to come up the track in their van, nor go to the farm. I'd meet then locally and chat to them about my concerns and could have a drive up in my vehicle for a look before deciding the best option. Low and behold the SSPCA drove up the track and into the farm. They were fobbed off with excuses, and shown a sheep in the steading they said was the one lying in the field!! They have about 200 sheep, what did the SSPCA do, ask it if it was the injured one and if it was OK?  Have now lodged an official complaint with SSPCA, what a complete and utter unprofessional attempt!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 11:04:09 pm »
That's appalling. Have you contacted anyone else about it? Rosemary made a few suggestions.

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 11:55:03 pm »
In Scotland is there not something similar to DEFRA. I think EHO inspect.
  Someone I know got fined because he had one pig less than on his register. I think they were more p**** off because he had shot it and not disposed of it properly.
   I would contact you local EHO or Animal Health Office and say you are worried that they may have an unreported disease as animals keep dying. That should stir the pot, but I am sure Rosemary will have some better ideas.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 01:16:54 pm »
Maybe try police, or animal health. I know how stressful this reporting is, with all the possible repercussions.

RSPCA have their own agenda with large animals. I once reported a ram, with a cut open head which was crawling with maggots. I'd already Spoken with the owner, he was down the pub, assuring me he'd come out soon. He didn't. I called rspca a few hours later.   they 'sent someone out' actually they phoned the owner who assured them the ram was under treatment. The ram was still out in the sun, owner said he wouldn't come till the next day. Later sent Rspca time stamped photos, not interested.

My mum and her friends reported a field of dying and dead horses and foals repeatedly, but the owner was already under investigation so they wouldn't send anyone out. He was prosecuted, but not after more of the horses had died.

An rspca inspector asked me if I'd seen a ewe in distress where I'd just ridden, I hadn't. So He walked about by the verge by his van for a couple of minutes, got back in and drove away. not interested in animal welfare, he didn't check any of the path or fenceline.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 04:08:14 pm »
I'm guessing you're in Scotland, SouthernStar. For the avoidance of any doubt, the SSPCA is a completely seperate charity to RSPCA. Neither has impeccable reputations.

The landlords should be notified; Animal and Plant Health Agency; Rural Payments; Police.

It's "farmers" like these that bring the industry into disrepute - they need weeded out and stopped operating.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 07:32:42 am »
I'm guessing you're in Scotland, SouthernStar. For the avoidance of any doubt, the SSPCA is a completely seperate charity to RSPCA. Neither has impeccable reputations.

The landlords should be notified; Animal and Plant Health Agency; Rural Payments; Police.

It's "farmers" like these that bring the industry into disrepute - they need weeded out and stopped operating.

I totally agree with last statement ..... But who actually is responsible and will inspect properly.   Everyone wants their local case stopped but none of these official orgs is able to do that instantly..... It has to be done legally and that takes time and proper evidence.  If any of us found an official "seeking" around our place because someone with a grudge had reported us we would quite rightly be furious.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 09:48:38 am »

I totally agree with last statement ..... But who actually is responsible and will inspect properly.   Everyone wants their local case stopped but none of these official orgs is able to do that instantly..... It has to be done legally and that takes time and proper evidence.  If any of us found an official "seeking" around our place because someone with a grudge had reported us we would quite rightly be furious.

I guess it may well be a multi agency approach but when it involves farm animals I think the Animal and Plant Health Agency would be the best starting point.

I think the OP should report but I don't think it is their responsibility/duty to contact landlords and the rural payments agency.
Nothing is going to happen quickly and some of the alleged neglect is history now and it is based on hearsay. The cow and calf situation does have photographic evidence and once involved one hopes a thorough investigation takes place, which may highlight further issues.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS