Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hand cream  (Read 7506 times)

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
Hand cream
« on: August 13, 2010, 08:07:46 am »
I really really need to find a good hand cream!  Any suggestions?  It's not even winter yet (although today might as well be) and my hands are getting dry and cracked.  :(

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Hand cream
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 08:11:57 am »
have you tried the creams that you leave on overnight with gloves on?
when I was nursing we used to have a pot of diprobase next to the sinks as our hands were cracked beyond belief - ouch.

I will be making (ahem - shameless plug..) goats milk moisturiser soon!! 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 08:14:09 am »
Do you know, I was going to ask if you were going to make creams.  Goats milk sounds the perfect solution.  I just don't like the sound of wearing gloves at night, not until winter at least.

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 08:32:05 am »
I'm sure Lisas' hand cream will be better but at the moment we stumbled across a stand at Crufts that sells beeswax hand & foot cream. It's called Starkies and it works.

www.StarkiesBeeswaxCreams.com

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 08:42:20 am »
Thanks Ian.  I have used this in the past but for my feet.  :) It didn't work for them but I have some left and will try it on my hands.

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 09:25:42 am »
You could try Boots Emolliant Cream it's inexpensive but very efffective the wife [a nurse ]swears by it .

ser3dan

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 10:48:44 am »
Superdrug do one, but I can't think what it's called! It's in a blue tube though, about 5" tall. I'll look when I get home and post later.
Very nice to use and has sorted out my hands which were shockingly bad!

Edited to add
I've checked, it's Superdrug Concentrated Hand Balm - rescue treatment for dry and chapped hands. Fantastic stuff and sorts my hands out no problem!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 09:31:18 pm by ser3dan »

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 11:30:39 am »
I use hand cream because my hands get so dry and cracked- particularly when I am at shows for some reason. I also have sensitive skin- sometimes fairy liquid can bring me up in a rash, and so do some hand creams. I use the Bodyshop's Hemp hand cream  http://www.thebodyshop.co.uk/_en/_gb/catalog/product.aspx?ParentCatCode=C_BathBody&CatCode=C_BathBody_HandsFeet&prdcode=24243m  It is the best stuff I have ever used, and I always have some with me. Also, Aveeno cream available from boots is really good.

Beth

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 07:48:28 pm »
Udder cream! (The goats hate it!) use it mainly at night. But also E45. The bodyshop one that Beth recommends is also good, just not available locally here....

I am just shuddering at the thought of cracked tops of my fingers and having to milk...

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 07:57:20 pm »
if your skin is sensitive, try something like atrixo or Norwegian formula (the fisherman's one!)
my dad has psoriasis, and swears by both these (he calls them non-ladies handcreams... as they aren't perfumed!)
Little Blue

scattybiker1972

• Joined Dec 2009
  • wirral
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 09:33:11 pm »
I'm sure Lisas' hand cream will be better but at the moment we stumbled across a stand at Crufts that sells beeswax hand & foot cream. It's called Starkies and it works.

www.StarkiesBeeswaxCreams.com

Ian

can vouch for thius cream bought some for my mother in laws really bad dermatitis and it worked a treat.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 10:10:39 pm »
I use L'Occitane it is expensive but is incredibly good it is my indulgance

Ty Siriol

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Ty Siriol - Home grown food at it's best...
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 10:12:56 pm »
Hi, I would certainly recommend Norwegian formula or Aveeno. My son and I have sensitive skin and both of these are fantastic, not greasy but ease the dry/tight feeling instantly.

Good luck, hope you find a good solution! :hshoe:
Suzy Williams 01792 882676
Ty Siriol - Home grown food at it's best...

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010, 12:01:34 am »
My hands are not too bad at the moment but in the winter they can get horribly cracked.  I use a variety of creams including a barrier cream (such as zinc and castor oil) before I go out.  At the moment I'm finding Atrixo good, for my feet too.  I go through giant pots of E45 and also use beeswax and comfrey and any 'gardeners' creams I can buy.  For the actual cracks I use Sudocrem.  Anything with cocoa butter makes my eyes stream, as do most of the perfumed ones.  For the depths of winter, bag balm (udder cream) is great and comes in giant pots so you can use plenty.  I also find that wearing gloves all the time helps, and putting wet hands into wool or sheepskin lined gloves can reduce the cracking.  I have recently found a gardeners soap with primrose seeds in which cleans the hands gently but very thoroughly and moisturises as it goes - excellent after a muddy day in the garden.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2010, 07:52:52 am »
Thanks everyone.  That's great info.  Have to decide which one to use!  Will go for the cheaper options first I think.  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS