Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How and when to tell if "in pig"  (Read 7966 times)

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
How and when to tell if "in pig"
« on: March 27, 2018, 09:21:19 am »
We carried out AI on our OSB gilt last week. All went well and I am confident we got the timing correct.

Next step is to find out if she is in pig. We will have a look three weeks from AI to see if she comes back into oestrus but I know that can be confusing sometimes.

Any hints or tips ? When should we know for sure ?

Just in case we need to try another round of AI.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: How and when to tell if "in pig"
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 09:55:53 am »
You may see the vulva slightly enlarge and soften or see a small discharge if she comes back into oestrus.  Some gilts and sows get very grumpy or want lots more attention.  Some show no signs at all .....

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 12:39:28 pm »
Look for the same signs as when you AI'd her.  I wouldn't assume that because she doesn't return to cycle after three weeks that you are home and dry. Get into the habit of just checking her from behind when you feed her just in case she breaks.

Unless you can PD then it is a waiting game until nearer the due date when she should change - swollen belly and getting milk.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 04:14:24 pm »
It is straightforward insofar as if you look for the changes in 3 weeks and nothing happens then she is probably in pig, if she seems to be back in season then another round of AI and same again 3 weeks later, as she could re adsorb or just not be in pig. By week 9 you will be fairly confident...... Although I never am until the piglets pop out!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 04:23:04 pm »
Me neither - some gilts are superb at hiding any signs of pregnancy, particularly if they've a small litter on board.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 04:45:16 pm »
I have only had pigs for 3 years now but I can always tell quite soon. The first sign, as you have mentioned, is that if she is pregnant she won't come back into standing heat three weeks later. Shortly after this time, the nipples start to change. I am not saying she will get an udder because that won't happen for a while... but by around week 5 or 6 my girls have always without fail had more noticeable nipples, this happens with gilts and proven sows, who have had several litters, alike. The change is not dramatic, it is subtle, but when you spend time with your animals I find you notice these small changes. No sooner I see this I know for certain that there will be piglets in a cpl of months time :)

Many pig keepers say that in the pregnant sow a sure sign is that the vagina tip points upwards in a pregnant sow and downwards in an empty sow. I can honestly say this has never been the case with my girls, not even once but others swear by it!

You may also notice a character change in a pregnant sow, she will be calmer, some will be lazier etc it depends on the pig!

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 09:00:40 am »
Well three weeks in and she went a bit pinker. We had thought - ah well lets get another round of AI and ordered it. It didn't get red and it only lasted a day though.

However we had ordered the semen and so went to use it next day but she showed no inclination to stand and her bum had gone back to normal (hence free semen we have for anyone wanting it in Aberdeenshire - see marketplace).

My wife commented that the gilts teats looked more prominent so she could be in pig. Waiting game now !

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 01:04:16 pm »
I have been looking at pigs for years and I can honestly say that I have never seen change in a gilts teats three weeks from service.

I have seen pigs that have looked like they have come back into season and seen the boar serve them but they held to the first service.  I have seen pigs who don't come back into season but don't have piglets either.

What one person swears by another doesn't.

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 01:06:26 pm »
Thanks harmony - guess we will just wait and see :)

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 09:34:07 am »
I have been looking at pigs for years and I can honestly say that I have never seen change in a gilts teats three weeks from service.

I have seen pigs that have looked like they have come back into season and seen the boar serve them but they held to the first service.  I have seen pigs who don't come back into season but don't have piglets either.

The way i tell is when they start nesting the day before farrowing...

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 10:27:34 am »

The way i tell is when they start nesting the day before farrowing...

I have never had a pig that nested until they are about to start farrowing.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 04:58:57 pm »
Way to Ruin some good humour

::)

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 06:00:11 pm »
None of them read the textbook - I used to think producing milk was the most reliable indicator of imminent farrowing (within 12-24 hours) until I had a sow last year who produced milk for 6 days before!!

RCTman

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Rhondda fach
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 07:30:09 pm »
When we had our first sows we were told by an old hand who had kept pigs for years
that when she came into milk she would farrow within 12 hours. That Saturday morning the first sow came into milk, so not to miss the experience we waited all day and even moved camp beds into the shed. Supper was fish and chips from the local chippie just before closing time. She farrowed on the Wednesday.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2018, 02:14:56 pm »
If the pregnancy fails any time up to 35 days in the piglets will be reabsorbed.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS