Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding Ryelands feeding lambs  (Read 2472 times)

cambee

• Joined Feb 2017
  • High Peak
Feeding Ryelands feeding lambs
« on: March 25, 2018, 07:49:02 am »
Hi all sounds like a really basic question but does anyone have a recommendation as to how much (in weight) of ewe nuts we ought to be giving our 4 Ryelands now that they’ve had their lambs (3 sets of twins and 1 single). It’s our first year and up to about 6 weeks before lambing we didn’t really feed them at all other than a handful to keep them tame every few days as generally we have plenty grass and they are good condition keepers. 6 weeks before lambing they had approx 250g each daily (and I can’t remember where that number came from). Now they are out with the lambs. There’s no grass really yet, they have ad lib hay and we are guessing how much in ewe nuts they need to keep them milky. I’d be interested to hear people’s views. By the way we aren’t planning on showing so we don’t need to feed up for that purpose. Thanks

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Feeding Ryelands feeding lambs
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 08:24:16 am »
I’ve no experience of ryelands but whatever feed you put into the ewe now will go into your lambs too in milk. Lambs feed conversion rate gets lower as they get older. My ewes are on about 750g/day 18% ewe nuts split into 2 feeds at the moment due to the weather and lack of grass. The lambs are 3 weeks old, ewes very milky and taken a check in condition already. Lambs just starting to take a bit of creep too. They do have grass just not as much as last year- they were on about 450g a day last year and not really eating all of that either. This year they are eating every scrap. There’s 9 sets of twins and a couple of singles.

cambee

• Joined Feb 2017
  • High Peak
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 09:21:21 am »
Hi Twizzel. Thanks. I’m going to sound really stupid now- 750g between them or each?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 10:24:55 am »
Each- sorry should have made that clear  :)  they were on 500g/day each but were losing condition so upped it a little

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 08:52:31 am »
I keep Ryelands who are now 5 -4 weeks post lambing. We are giving them 500-750g total each ewe a day as two feeds so similar to [member=25072]twizzel[/member]  One has triplets so trying to get a bit more to her.  We are also giving creep to the lambs and they are now after the sheep nuts too. I am pleased with the way the lambs are growing and the ewes are keeping condition on and given how late the grass was last year and how cold this Spring is,  I would rather err towards over rather than under feeding until it is clear the grass is coming through.

cambee

• Joined Feb 2017
  • High Peak
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 07:13:45 am »
Thanks. We’ve upped the feed to the 500g as we were well underfeeding. We’ve also started adding a little soaked sugar beet. Next step finding some kind of creep feeder so that can go in for the lambs as they’re a week old now. We are hilly here and exposed and I’m looking at them stood out in the driving rain this morning worrying they’ll be cold and need more energy. They’re all huddled behind a solid hurdle sheltering from the wind!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 10:04:26 am »
If you have hay bales try putting them in a cross pattern - this permits good shelter from the wind no matter which direction it's blowing from.  A swastika pattern is even more effective but may get you some odd looks if it can be seen by passers-by.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS