Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is it safe to grow veg in newly vacated pig run?  (Read 1871 times)

treven1024

• Joined Mar 2018
Is it safe to grow veg in newly vacated pig run?
« on: March 24, 2018, 11:15:50 am »
My three pigs are in their last few weeks. Their large run has the thick, gloopy consistency of an American chocolate shake. It's a clay soil that will eventually bake solid (if the sun every comes back).

Has anyone experience of growing vegetables immediately after pigs and is it safe to do so? I'm considering growing potatoes, broad beans and and squashes but worried that potential disease /parasites might transfer as there is so much poo?  Is this possible? Seems unlikely but I thought I should check.

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
Re: Is it safe to grow veg in newly vacated pig run?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 10:25:49 am »
If the manure is fresh there is a high chance you will burn the roots of any plants

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 12:42:46 pm »
I would leave it for a while to rot down where it is, then turn it in with a rotavator once it's drying, but before it sets like rock. You need to keep off clay soil while it's wet, or you compact it even more than the pigs have.  Having pigs on clay ground causes an impenetrable hard pan at the depth of their feet, so that needs to be broken up before you can grow crops.
For possible contamination with fluke, worms and other parasites, pigs are very close to humans as I'm sure you know, so yes, I would say there is a chance of the veg having eggs on when harvested.  I wouldn't risk it this year, unless you are absolutely certain that your animals are parasite free.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 03:01:08 pm »
You could grow a green manure crop then turn it into the soil to improve the consistency. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS