Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ewe not eating much  (Read 1720 times)

Missy

• Joined Jul 2017
ewe not eating much
« on: March 22, 2018, 08:56:17 am »
Another problem with the ewe who lambed quads on Monday morning. I am feeding 2 but the ewe although very attentive to her lambs doesnt seem to eat very much - leaving her sheep nuts.  Will pick at hay and fresh straw.  I have given her twice daily doses of ceta phylen but she seems abit depressed.  I had the vet out on Monday afternoon who gave her calcium/magnesium injection and metacam.  Said her temperature was fine.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: ewe not eating much
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 09:04:41 am »
It's more important that she eats the roughage eg hay and straw, than the sheep nuts. You need to keep her rumen going. Newly lambed ewes often appreciate some roots as they are succulent and encourage milk production. If you cant get any fodder beet, mangels etc, chop up some carrots for her. Ivy is also good for stimulating the appetite.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 11:46:35 am »
If you've no grazing left grab some hedge trimmers and a bucket and head for the nearest verge.  Around here the dandelions, cleavers  and cow parsley are showing through and all are beloved.  Longer grass should also perk up her appetite.  I have a Badger Face ewe with triplets (no suitable ewe to adopt on to, alas) who decided she didn't like ewe nuts and is on 500g of coarse mix twice a day, as well as ad lib hay.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 12:45:49 pm »
IF a ewe with 2 lambs on her starts to loose her milk early in lactation it can be very difficult to get back and nibbling dry forage won't help   , grass in any form is what she needs , sometimes    a coarse mix / soaked beet pulp or molasses taste nicer than nuts , her own crystalix bucket ? ask the vet about B12 as this can stimulate appetite

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS