Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Would you say  (Read 5267 times)

storm35

• Joined May 2010
Re: Would you say
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 02:22:17 pm »
It depends on what you want the hens for - if its just for having eggs to eat, then personally I would go for the ex battery hens.  The pure bred hens on the whole do not lay as many eggs as ex batterys.  If its for breeding from, then obviously pure bred hens are the better choice.

A friend of ours saw some nice birds at a big local show.  Never had hens before.  Ordered 12, and sent us to go over and pick them out, and pay.  I was gobsmacked as they were over £20 per bird, and this is a few years ago!!  he only wanted them for eggs, but liked the colours he said, well expensive do, if he paid that much just for the colour!!

Sadly, some got taken by the fox, so even more expensive.  I have managed to convert him to ex batts now, and he still has some of the original hens too.  But he is happy with the eggs, and has not commented on the colour of the ex batts!!!

Thank you, yes its just for eggs, we are just going to go for ex bats, although we have to wait 2 months before next collection, so i hope the feed and straw will last til then.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 02:28:56 pm »
Due to the summer holidays, and lots of volunteers and rehomers being away, our next rescue will not be until September now, and probably other hens rescues run on the same idea regarding holidays.

I am sure you will be pleased with the ex batts, and they will lay for you once settled in their new home.

sheardale

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Dollar, Clacks, Scotland
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2010, 03:01:29 pm »
Storm         If you look at the maretplace on this site you will find that woodlandproducts has some 12 - 14 week old hens for sale.  They are £6 each.  They are in Fife. Cheers Helen

storm35

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2010, 03:08:10 pm »
Storm         If you look at the maretplace on this site you will find that woodlandproducts has some 12 - 14 week old hens for sale.  They are £6 each.  They are in Fife. Cheers Helen

Ohh really, thank you off to look.
Chris xxxxxxxxxxxx

storm35

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 03:08:40 pm »
Due to the summer holidays, and lots of volunteers and rehomers being away, our next rescue will not be until September now, and probably other hens rescues run on the same idea regarding holidays.

I am sure you will be pleased with the ex batts, and they will lay for you once settled in their new home.

Roxy where are you based?

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2010, 04:54:08 pm »
we are in Derbyshire.  I think the furthest Northern co ordinator for collecting hens from is North Yorkshire and Durham.  Perhaps you could apply to be a co ordinator in your area!!

www.henrehomers.net

storm35

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2010, 06:04:12 pm »
we are in Derbyshire.  I think the furthest Northern co ordinator for collecting hens from is North Yorkshire and Durham.  Perhaps you could apply to be a co ordinator in your area!!

www.henrehomers.net

Will look into it, thanks.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2010, 07:35:22 pm »

I used to get my hens from Lauder Barns farm, that cant be too far away from you!
Anne

storm35

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2010, 08:18:38 pm »

I used to get my hens from Lauder Barns farm, that cant be too far away from you!

Oh right will look them up if i can find number, thats 20 mins away from here.
Thank you
Chris x

storm35

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2010, 08:21:03 pm »
No they dont have any, just called them :(

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2010, 08:28:24 pm »
Storm         If you look at the maretplace on this site you will find that woodlandproducts has some 12 - 14 week old hens for sale.  They are £6 each.  They are in Fife. Cheers Helen
Aren't there some free ones going too?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS