Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Would you say  (Read 5268 times)

storm35

• Joined May 2010
Would you say
« on: August 09, 2010, 06:05:18 pm »
£11 per chicken at point of lay is expensive? I have no idea of what breed they are, dont think they are any fancy breed. Partner and i were doing this for self sufficiency and country life way of living, but we think £33 for 3 chickens is a bit too over priced, would be ok if we knew what we were doing but so many things can go wrong and we are just starting out, the friend that is selling them knows this?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Would you say
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 06:09:03 pm »
hi Storm

personally I dont' think £11 a bird is too steep - I paid £12 for my cheapest, £25 for my dearest (marans). they were all POL>  I know there is a farmer near here who sells off stock that have laid a year for £5 a bird.

just a thought, but have you considered rehoming ex-bats?

Lisa
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

storm35

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 06:12:00 pm »
hi Storm

personally I dont' think £11 a bird is too steep - I paid £12 for my cheapest, £25 for my dearest (marans). they were all POL>  I know there is a farmer near here who sells off stock that have laid a year for £5 a bird.

just a thought, but have you considered rehoming ex-bats?

Lisa

Thanks Lisa, yes i have registered with the rescue place, and i just missed a collection, so will probably wait until next collection and rescue some ex bats, and give them a loving home that they deserve.

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 06:14:31 pm »
down here in devon we get warren hybrids for anywhere between 4-12 pound i paid 5.50 for mine so i would say that was pretty steeP!!!1! :-\

storm35

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 06:15:35 pm »
down here in devon we get warren hybrids for anywhere between 4-12 pound i paid 5.50 for mine so i would say that was pretty steeP!!!1! :-\

Thank you Jacob.

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 06:41:35 pm »
I think £11 is pretty average for a good laying hybrid. I charge £15 for black rocks and speckledys and £20-25 for my pure breeds.

storm35

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 06:47:16 pm »
I think £11 is pretty average for a good laying hybrid. I charge £15 for black rocks and speckledys and £20-25 for my pure breeds.
Thank you, will need to find out the breed of them.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 07:01:27 pm »
Perhaps a mix of hybrids, pure breds and ex batts would be a good idea - sort of hedging your bets you might say?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 07:55:29 pm »
You can always go to Dobbies & pay upwards of £25 per bird   :D :D :D :D

Birds, like everything in life, are only as expensive as you are willing to pay for them

storm35

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 08:00:25 pm »
Thank you, as i am new to this, i had no idea what to pay. You have been a great help all of you.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 08:16:07 pm »
commercial red hens at pol are around £7 up here. so thats with transport and the sellors cut must mean that they are going for about 6 on the mainland. we have crossed the reds with a number of breeds and you can get some funny crosses.

sheardale

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Dollar, Clacks, Scotland
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 10:32:34 pm »
I think thats dear.  My last previous lot of hens cost me £5 each.  Had then for years, but then Mr Fox got them.  I now have ex bat and paid £40 for them.  I am happy with that price..

storm35

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 10:32:54 pm »
They are rhode island reds, the breed we are getting?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 10:35:01 pm by storm35 »

storm35

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 10:33:39 pm »
I think thats dear.  My last previous lot of hens cost me £5 each.  Had then for years, but then Mr Fox got them.  I now have ex bat and paid £40 for them.  I am happy with that price..
Sorry to hear about Mr Fox, that is sad.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 02:19:48 pm »
It depends on what you want the hens for - if its just for having eggs to eat, then personally I would go for the ex battery hens.  The pure bred hens on the whole do not lay as many eggs as ex batterys.  If its for breeding from, then obviously pure bred hens are the better choice.

A friend of ours saw some nice birds at a big local show.  Never had hens before.  Ordered 12, and sent us to go over and pick them out, and pay.  I was gobsmacked as they were over £20 per bird, and this is a few years ago!!  he only wanted them for eggs, but liked the colours he said, well expensive do, if he paid that much just for the colour!!

Sadly, some got taken by the fox, so even more expensive.  I have managed to convert him to ex batts now, and he still has some of the original hens too.  But he is happy with the eggs, and has not commented on the colour of the ex batts!!!

To breed the hens, and rear them to point of lay is costly.  Hen feed has risen to a very high price in the last couple of years.  I don't think breeders are making a fortune out of hens at the price you quoted.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS