Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ryeland lambs - castrating problem  (Read 2056 times)

Missy

• Joined Jul 2017
ryeland lambs - castrating problem
« on: March 14, 2018, 01:14:10 pm »
For the first time in a couple of years I have ram lambs being born to my ryelands.

I am out of practice at castrating and am worrying as after 48 hours I dont think the testicles have come down yet.  This morning at 4 days now I have been feeling and I am sure they are not down.

They are quite small sized lambs.  Should I wait abit longer?  Or do I get the vet out?  Dont have any farmers I could ask.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: ryeland lambs - castrating problem
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 04:36:30 pm »
Wait until day 7, when they may have come down.
More likely is that they are down but the lambs retract them when you are feeling to find them - not daft, lambs  ;D .  Best to do it as quickly as possible, and if you can't find them, then let the lamb go.  A relaxed lamb lets it all hang out  :eyelashes:   Have some small scissors handy, such as a Swiss Army Knife, so that if you've missed one or both you can carefully cut off the ring.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Derbyshire Hillbilly

• Joined Apr 2016
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 05:27:39 pm »
I struggle with my Ryelands compared to others too. Usually end up doing it a little bit later but it doesn't upset them.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 06:13:03 pm »
Wait till day 7 ..... can you pull the testicles down into the sack?  If really small then leave them entire. (do not do after 7 days.  If you need then castrated then the vet will do it when they are older .
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 11:38:36 pm »
Can you feel them in the abdomen?  They're usually close to the surface and possibly visible but certainly palpable.  You may find that with a little very gentle pushing you can get them into the sac.  They'll probably retract again as soon as you try to snare them, mind  ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS