Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rain, rain and more Rain........  (Read 5125 times)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
Rain, rain and more Rain........
« on: September 05, 2008, 07:25:55 pm »
......causing flooding of the goat house. :'( :'( :'( .....they were not happy this morning  :-\ >:(     Had to evacuate them to the stables for the time being  >:(    
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

greenfingers

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Grange by Keith, Banffshire
Re: Rain, rain and more Rain........
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 07:42:15 pm »
Hi Blinkers,
Sorry about your weather, I hate to say this, but we have had a lovely day here in Grange,(North East corner of Scotland). I dropped my parents off at Inverness airport at 2pm, they should have left at 4pm, Dad has just rung now as they were waiting for their luggage, they were delayed for 2 hrs or so because of the weather further south.
I hope your animals are not too bothered about their temporary new home.  Are they very fretful because of the weather???
We may have the bad weather from Sunday, forecast all next week wet, so I will getting in some of my root crops before they get too wet.
Elaine
Elaine

Always look on the bright side of life, de dum, de dum de dum, de dum!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 07:59:51 pm »
It's wet and windy here (Central Scotland) now. It was cold and crisp first thing but clouded up as the day progressed. Not sure what the forecast is for the weekend.

Dan's parents are in their caravan in Cornwall - with severe weather warnings.

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 08:37:46 am »
Hi

Here in Brittany we have had severe rain and gales since Monday night, I am now totally fed up with it. Pigs are managing the rainfall to a point but the wind they dont cope well with. Looks like an Indian summer is too going to pass us by.
Barry has even suggested lighting the wood burner!!!!

Carole

jacyjones

• Joined Jun 2008
  • Aberystwyth, Mid Wales
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 10:12:04 am »
This summer (!) has been so bad my horse has hardly been on the field as the ground is so soft. I wait all winter for her to be able to go out and then we have this!! I have had to buy more hay - very expensive - and she is in her winter all weather area which is very soggy and not pleasant. Roll on next Easter, I say - maybe things will dry out then!! At least the chickens can shelter in the stable. Ducky is loving it!!
Husband, 2 teenage daughters, 1 horse, 2 Springers, 2 White khaki campbells, 5 black rocks, 1 warren and 2 pet rats :)

sandy

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 08:49:19 am »
Hello, I am fine as my garden is laid with stones with deep boarders so the wet weather does not make it muddy for my Chickens although my daughter keeps pigs and gets worried about sinking when she goes into thier pen. As I was walking the dog's in my coat and wellies I suddenly thought, my summer stuff consists of wellies and a light waterproof and my winter is wellies, thicker socks and a heavy waterproof, what happend to summer stuff? MY KEYBOARD AND MY SPELLINGS ARE PLAYING UP TOO, NO NUMBERS OR EXCLEMATION MARKS, SORRY.

Sandy Clackmannan

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 12:49:38 pm »
Shifted about 400kgs of very fine (road) chippings yesterday - barrowed them from one field to another (had been left by the previous owner in a crane bag!)....and built flood defences along the front of the goat shed.   Goats back in as fortunately it dried out very quickly once I'd lifted the bedding.      Been lovely and dry last couple of days, but forcast is heavy rain again over next day or two (14mm!!!!!), so will have to wait and see if I've cured the problem.  

APPARENTLY  ;) this wet weather is all due to the MOON.   Yep, there are 13 of them this year (unlucky you might say  ::)), there were 13 last year (bad, bad weather) and there are 13 next year (keep hold of the waterproofs and the wellies)......but by 2010..it will all be back to normal  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
  :pig: :pig::pig: = might fly !
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 02:46:46 pm by Blinkers »
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 01:13:29 pm »
Our pigs are flying Blinkers - to avoid the bl***y mud!! Terrible here in Normandy although today the sun is making an appearence,  but oh my, how I am dreading the winter if this is what we are going through now.

Not only am I listening to the squelch of the mud, but where I have worn my wellies so much they are making a far*ing noise - very embarrasing and I can't keep blaming the dog!

Kate :pig: ;D
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Tweedle

• Joined Jul 2008
  • GMT -5
  • Callender Farms
    • Callender Farms, New Hampshire
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 05:50:26 pm »
We have been getting hiot hard this summer over here as well in New Hampshire. (USA)  We have gotten rain 7 out of 10 days all summer and this weekend got hit by a major storm that dumped about 4 inches of rain over night.  the little creek behind our hous has almost over flown the river bank. just this weekends storm has turned my garden, pig pen and chicken coop int mud about a foot deep.... we lost almost all of our veggies this year  :'(  so not a lot of canning to do and it looks like we will have to be doing shoppin this winter uuuugggghhhh.
"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."  -Winston Churchill-

http://www.callenderfarm.com

rustyme

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 06:25:37 pm »
..lol.....I can't stop laughing .....Kate ...just stop eating the beans..........lol......I am knee deep in mud on my place too ..... so much I need to do ...but it is just far too wet to do it .....I have just had delivery of my wheat seed , the ground needs digging for that (20'x65') but the ground is just to wet and heavy to dig. I need 3 days of dry weather, but so far ...no chance of that happening. Today and yesterday were dry , but tomorrow it is meant to rain again , even more than we have had so far....I have till the end of October or early November to dig the ground , but time will soon pass , so I hope it eases soon. The wheat is the old variety 'Square Heads Master' it is an old variety from the 1880's, much longer than modern types of wheat, and is one of the main thatching wheats from that era.
   lol.... far*ing boots.....  'it's like a super booter ...beans are going to blind me ....' lol.... (Abba super trooper).....

Russ

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 10:55:02 pm »
I will never be able to listen to ABBA in the same way again! Now I deffinately will have to buy some new wellies - lets hope they don't squeek! 

Kate  :D
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS