Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Abscess? A couple questions...  (Read 1461 times)

SafeHaven

• Joined Mar 2017
Abscess? A couple questions...
« on: March 11, 2018, 01:53:22 pm »
I was sitting with my two sheep tidying up their backsides in preparation for their upcoming lambing possibly this week (dagging wool, trimming bum area, etc). As they recently had lice or mites (now treated by vet) they also had some damaged wool on their sides which was hanging down and matted up so I was trimming some of that away too. That’s when I saw a huge plug of pale yellowy green pus coming from a small sore by one of the sheep’s leg. I think it’s possibly an injection site. They’ve had a few injections over the last couple weeks.

It was gross, but I pressed around the hole and wiped away anything that came out, trimmed the wool around it and gave it a good coating of engemycin spray.

1. Did I do the right thing?

2. Is there anything else I should do (only other treatments I have to hand are purple spray and iodine)

3. Do I need to get a vet to look at it?

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Abscess? A couple questions...
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 03:38:44 pm »
I'd probably just keep an eye on it, sounds like its draining nicely. I think you did the right thing, only other thing I might do is give an antibiotic injection if its really bad. Chances are that unless you'd been trimming you'd never of noticed it and it would of healed by itself

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 06:15:03 pm »
That's what I would have done. Just keep an eye on it now to make sure it's getting better and not worse.

We had a ewe with an abscess on her face a couple of years ago, and in that case (different to yours I think) we had to keep opening it up to drain it, and indeed to irrigate the abscess with a saline solution made up from boiled water. The ewe went on to make a full recovery and gave birth to our new tup too  :thumbsup: .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

SafeHaven

• Joined Mar 2017
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 11:15:02 pm »
Thanks for the reassurance and advice. Much appreciated.  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS