Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dan’s first sock  (Read 15512 times)

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
Dan’s first sock
« on: March 05, 2018, 02:10:21 pm »
For some time I’ve had a secret hankering to learn how to knit. My mother was a prodigious knitter and regularly turned out pullovers for all 10 of her children (I’m number 6). Then I saw the photo in the TAS Diary of Dan’s first sock and I was rather impressed. How difficult is it for a mature male (if that has anything to do with it) to learn to knit from scratch? I mean how does it compare with say learning to play a musical instrument or a foreign language? How long would it take to get to the first sock stage?

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: Dan’s first sock
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 04:07:01 pm »
How long is a piece of wool?  It depends on the ply boom boom.
I am sure you can PK.  To the best of my knowledge like many skills it is not gender specific.  I am dire at musical anything and learn slowly any foreign tongue. Indeed one reason I do learn a foreign language is I am very slow, and as I am quick at many things it is a reminder of how hard learning is when you are not adept.

I have knitted from an early age though can vividly remember my usually placid mother throwing my knitting across the room as she insisted 'I wasn't trying' (and she was a teacher!).

You need to learn how to cast on, cast off, and how to do plain stitches and pearl stitches. Being mathematical I rather like patterns, they are basically just formula. My sister who has not a mathematic bone in her body hates them, but she did manage to knit a pair of socks once. My suggestion is 1) try a scarf first- get the hang of plain and pearl and your tension (number of stitches per cm) and also how long knitting takes to do 2) do fingerless gloves next (following a pattern/ working on a round item) 3) first sock 4) second sock. Please post your progress.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 06:11:46 pm »
I think it's easy to knit but then I have been knitting all my life. Left handed people seem to find it more difficult but, male or female, shouldn't make a difference. The most well known knitter/designer is male, Kaffe Fasset.
There are lots of you tube videos but I think it would be better if you had a 'real' person to help.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 06:14:01 pm »
As a mature male myself (at least in terms of age  :D ) it took me a year of elapsed time, but only about 3 months of knit-time to get to the sock stage.

If you're reasonably dexterous you'll have no trouble at all, just get some chunky yarn, big needles and a book or YouTube channel, and progress from there.

I learned (self-taught) last winter in November and December, and started again this November. This is the book I used to learn at first:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stitch-Bitch-Knitters-Instructions-Generation/dp/0761128182

In retrospect it's not great, but it gave me a starting point, a bit of confidence and some definied projects. Now I'd advise using YouTube for the learning part - there are some fanatstic teachers on there with really clear instructions and videos. VeryPink Knits is probably the one I use most:

https://www.youtube.com/user/verypinkknits

And Ravelry for patterns and support:

https://www.ravelry.com/

I found the most intimidating things at first to be the patterns, the cryptic annotations (that don't seem to be completely standardised), and the yarn terminology, which again isn't completely standardised. Magic loop is baffling so I use double-pointed needles for stuff in the round (don't worry if that makes no sense, it will).

Agree with pharnorth about starting with a scarf - mine was a garter stitch scarf which was basically just a single stitch (knit) from top to bottom, and also taught joining yarn together.

My technique makes seasoned knitters wince, but it works for me.  :knit:

I still have to look up how to do some of the stitches, and working with the 4-ply wool has been challenging at times. It's all good though - it means I can sit in front of the TV in the evening and be productive.

You can find me and some of my projects on Ravelry here:

https://www.ravelry.com/people/dieselsdad

Would be interested if any other TAS bods are on there, would be good to hook up.

HTH!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 06:18:07 pm »
The big question Dan is have you done the second sock?  That's the hardest bit  :knit:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 06:25:27 pm »
The big question Dan is have you done the second sock?  That's the hardest bit  :knit:

It's about 80% done!  :D

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 07:05:55 pm »
Thanks all and thank you Dan for the links. I’m going to buy some needles and a ball of wool this week to get started.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 10:27:31 pm »
Thanks all and thank you Dan for the links. I’m going to buy some needles and a ball of wool this week to get started.

New word to learn PK - 'yarn' is what you knit with.  It may be wool yarn, but equally it may be alpaca yarn, or nylon yarn, or cotton yarn or acrylic yarn, or ..................  :knit:

We shall need a progress report  :thumbsup:  - good luck.

Well done Dan - we'll need a pic of the second sock here when you're done.  Wouldn't a 'photo' icon be useful  :innocent:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 11:08:20 pm »
Good for you PK

If you have someone to help you learn, you may find it easier if they cast on and knit two or three rows as that is the hardest bit when you're starting. I've always done that when teaching someone to knit.

You can do it.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 12:00:26 pm »

You can find me and some of my projects on Ravelry here:

https://www.ravelry.com/people/dieselsdad

Would be interested if any other TAS bods are on there, would be good to hook up.

HTH!

Added you to my friends, I'm castlemilk on Ravelry.

We used an existing group 'Crafty Smallholders' on Ravelry some years ago as a friendly place for TASers who were new to Ravelry to gather and get help navigating the huge (and not always as friendly as it might be) place that is Ravelry. it's been dormant for a couple of years, but if people would like a TAS-hold on Ravelry, why not pop along and say Hello.  (Or we could create a new group if preferred.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 12:28:34 pm »
I just popped along to ravelry and posted on the Crafty Smallholders bit.  Please come and join me - it's lonely out there!  (I'm RandomFibres)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 07:12:42 pm »
Sally is absolutely right. I find Ravelry impossible to navigate :-(
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 07:53:48 pm »
Sally is absolutely right. I find Ravelry impossible to navigate :-(

My top tip is to join maybe three or four groups that interest you, then use the ‘forums’ page. Linky.  It shows you where you have unread posts, replies, etc, in your groups.

Which groups to join?  The ones I use the most are:

Tour of British Fleece
UK Spinners
Lovers of Ashford UK
UK Weavers
UK Classifieds

And now, since Fleecewife posted, Crafty Smallholders! 

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 10:18:24 pm »
Excellent knitting Dan! PK, you can do it, but be warned, knitting is seriously addictive! I'm I'm Ravelry too - Knotsonsticks is me! I will pop in to Crafty smallholders.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 10:50:56 pm »
I randomly decided to teach myself a few years back. It took a few very odd attempts and a fair amount of swearing and rage on my part but within 3 weeks I had cast on my first proper project. It was meant to be scarf but I had too many stitches so turned it into a bag. I used youtube videos to get me started, if I didn't get it from one video I'd just try someone else's. I then found an old book in a charity shop that detailed some different stitches and made patches which really got me used to doing different things. I used to post a lot on Ravelry but since having my daughter my needles have been gathering dust. Brushing them off again this year though.

This will show you some of my first very awful attempts and then a couple of finished bits. It does have some crochet and spinning in there as well (which I took up after enjoying knitting so much).

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150288546401835.334871.670811834&type=1&l=a2210af861

Happy knitting!  :knit:

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS