Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Florentines - vegan suitable  (Read 2467 times)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Florentines - vegan suitable
« on: February 18, 2018, 12:01:13 pm »
Quick to make and taste nice whether you're catering for the fussy crowd or not.

I don't bother making cakes etc often; I don't eat much sweet stuff but needed a quick prezzie for V's birthday last week and she's a fussy vegan. I dug around on the web for a recipe and then modified it.

I've made three batches now adjusting things each time. V isn't keen on the orange zest the original recipe called for (so that's come out) and I found the recommended nut/fruit amount needed increasing. So:

1oz/28g each:
Dairy free spread
Flaked almonds
Dried Cranberries
Lidl's luxury fruit and nut meusli
2oz/56g soft brown sugar (can make this up with less sugar and add honey to the weight)
2/3ox/18gm flour (I used wholemeal bread flour cos it was there)
Dark chocolate

Preheat oven to 180C. Toast the Almonds tossing in a  small saucepan which you use for the rest of the process to save washing up. Weigh out all the ingredients into saucers (fruit and nuts in the same bowl to save washing up). Melt the spread, whisk in the sugar +/- honey until all dissolved in , whisk in the flour then toss in the fruit/nuts and stir in thoroughly. The mix should have everything coated and just about sticking together. If really sticky then add some more meusli. If too dry then add a little more spread and a tiny bit of honey and melt/mix it in.

Line two baking trays with greasproof paper. Dob on teaspoon of mixture. You want them at a consistency so that the piles will just tackily stick to themselves as you shape them into flat rounds about an inch to inch and a half across. 6 to a baking sheet. Pop in the oven for 6-8mins checking they don't burn at the edges- just brown a little. They'll spread out a  lot on their own and should come out lacy looking. Let cool and they'll be stiff/snapable. Coat with melted plain chocolate on the flat side.

I'm popular this week.

You can argue about honey being vegan an duse maple syrup or just the sugar. The honey i used came from the our farm from a friend who kept some hives here.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 12:03:17 pm by pgkevet »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS