Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Duck moved nest.  (Read 1518 times)

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
Duck moved nest.
« on: February 13, 2018, 10:55:51 am »
Hi everyone. i came out to check on my birds this morning and found  one of my muscovies that had been sitting on a clutch of eggs inside a shelter had moved and was now sitting on a clutch of eggs just outside the door of the shelter. She wasnt sitting on all her eggs.

I have just moved her and all her eggs back inside and she is in the process of getting comfortable again.

Did i do the right thing? What do you think happened to cause her to now be sitting outside on all her eggs?

There wasn't a single egg left in the shelter nest at all.

Gunestone

• Joined Jan 2017
Re: Duck moved nest.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 01:57:48 pm »
How long has she been sitting? They tend to take a few days to really settle on their nest, one of ours was switching nests the first two days, but settled back onto her's when she was moved. Now she is sitting properly and knows where her nest is. I've never had one move her eggs before though, could she be getting bullied in the shelter?
 She may well remain there now, and as I said it can take a couple of days for them to really settle.

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
Re: Duck moved nest.
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 04:29:39 pm »
She has been sitting for a few days and she is all alone. i seperated the house from other duck because last year i ended up with 2 ducks sharing a nest  and had to seperate them to avoid trouble. I checked on her this afternoon and she seemed to be happy sitting on some eggs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS