Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hanging geese?  (Read 1961 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Hanging geese?
« on: February 10, 2018, 04:12:16 pm »

Can someone advise me if it is a good idea to hang a goose (one is a young gander, the other an older female that has stopped laying) for a couple of days before taking off the legs and breast for a slow cooking rather than roasting? And if so, can I leave the innards intact inside? I want to make use of them without going to the whole hog of plucking etc, just don't have the time and quite sure it isn't worth it for those two.

Any cooking ideas would also be appreciated - curry? red wine treatment?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Hanging geese?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 05:56:29 pm »
Ours were 9 months old and we didn't hang them at all.  The only info I could find was about wildfowl geese which are hung, perhaps because you can have no idea of their age.  We have roasted one and the rest are still in the freezer.  I did a very slow roast in a covered roaster and it was totally delicious, far more so than I expected.
For your older one, probably yes, hang her for a few days.  I wouldn't waste a goose on curry, but a red wine casserole, with an orange added for sharper flavour, sounds perfect.  Don't forget there's quite a lot of meat on the back too, fine for a stew.
You could also take off the skin, which would otherwise make the casserole horribly fatty, and roast that separately for a 'pork scratchings' style snack.  Oh no, I've just remembered you're not plucking them.

I don't know about gutting or not, but I would keep them without food for a bit before slaughter if you're going to leave the guts in.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 05:59:38 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 06:10:14 pm »

Yes, we need to do them tomorrow morning 1st thing, so they are without food overnight.

I like the red wine and orange idea....

I just don't have the time to pluck them, already got the first batch of goat kids to bottle, and still more stuff to do in preparing the veg garden for spring...

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 10:30:34 pm »
It all happens at this time of year.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS