Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hay feed for sheep  (Read 2023 times)

Ian.mccarthy@hotmail.co.u

• Joined Sep 2016
Hay feed for sheep
« on: February 13, 2018, 10:19:27 am »
The farmer who supplies hay for us over the past few years is no longer able to do so.  Our problem is that we can only buy 6 bales at a time as we have no storage space for more.  We live in Pembrokeshire - does anyone know where we can source small numbers of bales please?

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Hay feed for sheep
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 10:43:34 am »
You could buy small bales of wrapped haylage and store it outside?

PhilW

• Joined Jan 2011
  • North Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 11:15:21 am »
Before we got our hay storage we used to stack it on pallets and cover it with tarpaulin and put electric fencing around to stop the animals getting to it.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 11:43:34 am »
I'm currently getting in big bales, which work out much cheaper than small ones, and using a bale tidy (https://www.baletidy.co.uk) to cover it. I just take some off each day to put in the racks. It's so much easier than a tarp and really keeps everything dry and secure.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 12:11:21 pm »
We switched to big bales as well, mainly for goats so we were going thru a over a bale a day, £4 a bale, big bale lasts about 2 weeks, £25. I did have to get one off someone else, £35 but a bigger bale. Roll it inside and unwind to to feed.
Could you make a wooden frame and use metal sheeting for a roof? Make gates for the sides?
less hassle than messing with small bales, which I use during summer.

amended to increase some font size, don't know why it was tiny?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 10:13:52 pm by Carol King »

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 12:16:29 pm »
I’ve gone over to big bales this year... it’s at least halved my hay bill !

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 02:30:24 pm »
If we need to get the hay made into big bales because of a change in the weather forecast we get them made as small as possible, which is rollable by two people, stand them on pallets and tie a tarpaulin over the top, securing it to the bottom of the pallet.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS