NFU Mutual Smallholding Insurance

Author Topic: Algae on my panels  (Read 152 times)

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Algae on my panels
« on: February 12, 2018, 02:39:06 am »
Algae on my panels ... sounds like a bad song ....it is !

It's been so horribly wet and cool this year that my solar panels are starting to develop a covering of green algae .
 I gave them a clean as best I could using  one of the 5 mtr window cleaning sets ( eBay rubbish )  lashed to another one & could still barely manage to reach the top of the panels on the bungalow roof from the ground ( 9 mtrs approx ) .

One damp & drizzly day  I dipped the cleaning head toweling in neat car screen wash and after some hard work the algae started to disappear . At the end of it all I gave the panels a hosepipe rinsing off and that was it . Three months later it's back with a vengeance .

We got a shock when the last FIT payment arrived for the period  beginning of Nov to end of Jan £ 40 ... Waaah . it's the lowest we've had  :'(

What are you  guys and gals using to keep your panels clean ?
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Algae on my panels
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 03:50:10 pm »
I have no idea how well it actually works but the old fasioned trick for keeping moss off roofs was a copper strip along the ridge for copper salts when it rains.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow - some say it's in England
Re: Algae on my panels
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 04:18:19 pm »
I have no personal experience of solar panel maintenance, but is there something peculiar about your situation/installation cloddopper I wonder?:  I frequently drive by acres upon acres of solar fields ( :( ) and have yet to notice a single maintenance gang out cleaning!
Have you asked the installers/manufacturers about the problem and solutions? 
As a throw-away thought - what about washing-off with a hydrophobic car polish product to add a film over the panels' glass?  (Such car products must surely be 'gentle' on all sorts of materials - silicon or rubber seals etc.  Whether such products really work to help keep surfaces clean, or whether just hype, is another matter!)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 04:21:50 pm by arobwk »

Solar Panels?

Started by Lizmar

Replies: 3
Views: 2209
Last post July 19, 2009, 09:01:50 pm
by cmorrell
Solar panels

Started by bucketman

Replies: 31
Views: 9158
Last post May 09, 2011, 09:58:45 pm
by Dan
Solar panels 2

Started by bucketman

Replies: 24
Views: 8868
Last post September 09, 2011, 06:48:43 pm
by egglady
new type of solar panels

Started by goosepimple

Replies: 12
Views: 3724
Last post September 18, 2011, 07:20:10 pm
by goosepimple
Interesting fact about PV panels

Started by ellisr

Replies: 23
Views: 7148
Last post January 04, 2012, 11:12:56 am
by chrismahon

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Assist Animal Care Services Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Little Peckers

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2018. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS