Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig health  (Read 2454 times)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Pig health
« on: August 05, 2010, 11:30:11 am »
A friend has just had her entire l itter of piglets diagnosed as having rheumatoidal arthritis (sorry sp).  Apart from language difficulties the attitude here is just knock them on the head.  Has anyone had any success with piglets suffering from this.  Can anyone say what the prognosis is.  Friend is v. upset and concerned that the sow may be unviable for further breeding.  Any advice will be gratefull received and passed on.  Thanks

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: Pig health
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 11:36:05 am »
It is a genetic disorder and yes the sow could produce piglets with it again

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 11:39:34 am »
A friend has just had her entire l itter of piglets diagnosed as having rheumatoidal arthritis (sorry sp).  Apart from language difficulties the attitude here is just knock them on the head.  Has anyone had any success with piglets suffering from this.  Can anyone say what the prognosis is.  Friend is v. upset and concerned that the sow may be unviable for further breeding.  Any advice will be gratefull received and passed on.  Thanks

Sorry HM on a slightly different level I have just recently been told I have the same athritis in my knee and I know jist how painful it is. Poor wee piglets and knowing nothing about pigs what so ever I would say probably not to breed again from this pig. I wish your friend and her piglets luck. :)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 11:45:00 am »
Thanks, Elisr and James.  Is there any thing that can be done to improve the quality of life for the piglets, medication, change of feed anything at all, or is it sadly going to be end of line. 

I guess from the prognosis that the sow will be going on the cosh as it would appear too risky to keep breeding from her.  Such a !"£""Q£  shame.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 01:08:32 pm »
Hi Hilary's Mum
How old are the piglets?
Are they all affected the same?
Anti inflammatories in their feed or by jab(Metacam) will help ease pain and would also giving each a shot of antibiotics if funds allow, its possible if they're very young they might have what we call 'Joint Ill' and it might have got lost in the translation. Joint Ill is treatable. See Pig Site Diseases section.
I would hate to see her lose a good sow for want of a correct translation/diagnosis.
HTH
Best
Mandy

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 10:45:59 am »
Hi thanks for that, will pass on the info.  I think like all of us she is really struggling at present, but doubt that would stop her finding help for the piglets if she can. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS