Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weed control on Pasture  (Read 1559 times)

Laura_Long

• Joined Jul 2017
Weed control on Pasture
« on: February 04, 2018, 05:08:04 pm »
Hi All.

I have a 2.5 acre field that is laid to rye grass. It was cut for haylage last year in June and then was grazed by sheep Sept-Nov.  There are a lot of open patches without grass that weeds have taken root in. Mostly thistle and buttercup, and others I don't know the name of.

Any advice on how I can get rid of it without chemicals?  Will ploughing, rolling and re seeding work?  Is there a less drastic measure?

I plan to rent it to ponies or sheep again at some point so ideally want decent pasture. 

Thank you.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Weed control on Pasture
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 05:46:15 pm »
For thistles, topping is best (when in flower before seeding), Fell or Exmoor ponies also works well. “Spudding” (digging them out with a device like a potato peeler on a stick) is said to work but is a lot of work.

I think liming might be your only option for buttercups. I guess do a soil test and take it from there.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Weed control on Pasture
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 06:29:00 pm »
You will also need to put some grass seed on the bald spots.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS