Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rented sheep grazing prices  (Read 3458 times)

thesuffolksmallholding

• Joined Jan 2017
Rented sheep grazing prices
« on: January 30, 2018, 11:48:35 pm »
Going into some talks about additional rented grazing in Suffolk to supplement my own.
It is good quality grazing, which is not fenced. I can use it all year round. There is other grazing about the village, the current stuff I have is about 5 acres and I don't pay a thing, just trade lamb.
This fellow wants money but I don't know how much I should be paying per annum?
Theres no access to water and they are very close to footpaths.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Rented sheep grazing prices
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 07:48:13 am »
Not fenced?  Not much ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 09:00:55 am »
No fencing, no water and close to a footpath... would maybe take a cut of hay off it- will the hassle of grazing be worth it?

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 05:27:04 pm »
It sounds like it could be a recipe for disaster..

If you fence it yourself you should ask for several years free rent, Even if you did it yourself by hand it'll cost you over £1k in materials. You only have your landlords word that he won't ask you to leave during that 'free rent' time and he could ask you for a silly rent after the period ends..

Around here (Wales) you can pay around £100 acre P/A for grazing.

thesuffolksmallholding

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 05:55:21 pm »
It sounds like it could be a recipe for disaster..

If you fence it yourself you should ask for several years free rent, Even if you did it yourself by hand it'll cost you over £1k in materials. You only have your landlords word that he won't ask you to leave during that 'free rent' time and he could ask you for a silly rent after the period ends..

Around here (Wales) you can pay around £100 acre P/A for grazing.

mmmmm interesting, we currently run the majority of our sheep on an 'electric fencing' system, so the cost is kept minimal because of this. £100 per acre P/A sounds steep, considering I would be renting 5 acres of him. I may consider contacting some other people in the village with unused land and see if we can trade with lamb before I finalise things with him.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 06:55:19 pm »
Talk to him and see what he wants. He might surprise you - in a nice way and maybe not!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS