Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: bloody ear tags  (Read 8504 times)

fizzgigg

• Joined May 2010
  • bolton
  • catch it kill it cook it eat it waste nothing
bloody ear tags
« on: August 03, 2010, 10:37:31 pm »
jus come in from spendiding the entire evening sorting swanleys ear out i havent a clue how or where shes done it but she managed to rip the tag out the full lenghth of her ear i have thouroughly cleaned it and put some purple spray on it she seems ok and its not bleeding what do u guys do i know they have to have two in by law but im even dubious about leaving the other 1 in n bareleys too she the accident prone 1.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: bloody ear tags
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 10:44:21 pm »
If you do not move your goats I would not worry about re tagging. This is not the official stance but the best for the animals welfare, in my opinion!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 11:35:12 pm »
Only the young ones need two tags - the ones of mine with one tag remain with one tag.  If I had my way, none of them would be wearing any tags in their ears. Goats are known for getting their heads in places they probably should not, and its pretty likely they will get stuck and pull their tag out.

One of my female alpines, Dolly, somehow ripped her ear the full length after getting her ear tag stuck.  She is now left with a floppy ear, split down the middle.  Its healed ok, but does not look nice.  She has no tag in now, and two of the boys have big splits.

Before tagging Barnie the pygmy recently, I spoke with a local farmer, who came over and told me to split the tag if possible before inserting in the ear, that way there was less likely hood of it causing damage.  Its no detriment to the tag, or number, and if it will stop accidents, I am happy to do it.

The two Sanaan young girls have no tags as yet.  When I tagged Barnie I was not happy, as the tag is enormous, so the girls have not been done yet until their ears grow a bit more.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 12:00:52 am »
If you act quickly it is possible to glue/staple the ear back together.  I haven't tried it but big sheep breeders are doing it.  The glue to use is superglue which was developed as a quick method to use in surgery. If it's scabbed over, you might need to wash off the scabs first.   With such big ears as goats you might also need to splint it somehow.  Probably for staples the vet would need to do it as not many people have wound staples available.  I would certainly leave out the tag and argue animal welfare if any official complained.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 12:17:06 am »
I am starting to think the same thing about ears tags for our goats.  They are never going to leave the farm as they are effectively pets.  They are much too big and have a flap underneath that I have to keep turning or it looks like it could come into contact with their eyes.  They are also getting big now and we have just prepared a new paddock for them with stock fence, one fenceline next to juicy bushes and trees rather than the one they have at present out the back of the shed with electric fence.

I am so worried they are going to rip them out like your poor little one has as they have such beautiful ears dont they.

I am pretty sure I am going to clip them out before something nasty happens.  There is no real reason they should be tagged with such cumbersome electronics or identification.

Ta

Baz

chickenfeed

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 07:20:40 am »
 :wave:whilst the tags are a pain in the bum it is illegal not to have your goats tagged and should you get a visit from defra the fine is high when caught with no tags, i dont think they would accept the excuse the goats do not get moved from their home.

you have 28 days to replace any lost tags. i am sure you can still tattoo goats ears at leats one ear can be tattooed, and i agree with splitting the tags to cut down on damage to the animal.

i know you say your animals do not move from home but one day they may well have to even if it is for disposal after death and i know our hunt check ear tags to comply with regs.

whilst the tags are a pain for both animals and owners they are there for a reason

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 09:20:39 am »
Two of my goats tags came out too.  I have red replacements but haven't put them in.  Our knacker man does not require tags when they take bodies away as I checked when a lamb had to be removed.

chickenfeed

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 11:49:49 am »
 :wave:well the knackerman is one thing i am not so sure mr DEFRA would say it was ok rules are rules i dont think anyone should be exempt if you keep livestock you have rule to follow if you choose not to it can be a very expensive affair.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 02:23:04 pm »
There are a lot of people going to be gettin fined by DEFRA.  I took in 18 goats in the last year, and only six had tags, and the majority of the people did not have tags or even a holding number.  I had to insist they got both before collecting the goats.  They handed me the goat tags as I left.  I sold some of the goats, including two with no ear tags. I explained the situation to the new owner, a very experienced goat owner.  She said she would not tag any of her goats, but would keep the tags.

I fully understand the rules and regulations - although before the foot and mouth outbreak, none of my goats had tags in or out of their ears - but if the men from DEFRA saw the goats ears after tags had ripped, they would realise why some of us are reluctant to put them in.

The latest ones I have, are massive green ones.  Kids ears are not very big, and I am not happy with Barnie out in the field with a tag that size, that looks like its asking to get ripped out.

As to the knackerman, I have never once had to tell him the ear tag number, my holding number, or even my name and address.  Just take it over to his place, and he says "dump it there"!    I must admit, the lack of paperwork at that end does amaze me, when we have to fill in movement forms for every other journey........and who tells DEFRA its dead.  I have recorded it in my register, but not actually told anyone.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 02:23:37 pm »
you have 28 days to replace any lost tags. i am sure you can still tattoo goats ears at leats one ear can be tattooed,

yes, you can tattoo if an animal qualifies for double tagging - it still needs one other tag, as well as the tattoo.
Little Blue

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 03:34:01 pm »
my 'kids' don't have tags even though they are now a year old. well they do have tags, but they are in a bag next to my computer.  my adult was tattooed before tagging rules were changed so she's ok. knackerman too one a few months ago no tag. I will pay the fine. I hate the tags and damage that goats (and other animals can sustain)with them.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

fizzgigg

• Joined May 2010
  • bolton
  • catch it kill it cook it eat it waste nothing
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 04:29:42 pm »
thanks for the advice and support every1 the tags have come out i aint risking it happening again n if defra dnt like it they can whistle y cant we microchip them i know its more expensive but if people like us who only have a small heard its safe n alot safer than a tag

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 04:47:04 pm »
I think they need to come up with something a bit more suited to Goats habits (ie.getting their heads into everything especially branches) whereby ear tag accidents are more likely.  its one of the 5 freedoms isn't it? freedom from pain, injury or disease - by PREVENTION, or rapid diagnosis & treatment.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

dannidub2000

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Northants
    • Brook Farm Rare Breeds
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 08:39:30 am »
Dont worry, as long as you have tags to hand and you know which goat is which the animal health should be fine!! I breed shetland sheep and they have tiny ears, once a tag gets ripped out theres no room for another. When it was the one tag rule it was fine as the other ear was for backup, but now both need doing its a nightmare bless em.
I have spoken to animal health about this problem and they were ok with the fact I have id tags, I know which animal is which and I do have everything there to identify if a movement was to happen.
Danni
Brook Farm Rare Breeds
Northants

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 10:16:38 am »
Well thats good to know they are at least understanding about the tag situation. Its not as though we don't actually have tags for the goats.  Yet a lot of people don't, and never seem to get pulled up about it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS