Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Thrush  (Read 2603 times)

zwartbles

• Joined Sep 2011
Thrush
« on: January 26, 2018, 04:35:19 pm »
Don't know if this chap is local or passing through. Used to see loads when we were younger but very few now. Nice contrasting plumage, quite often yellowy/brown.
Do click on this one to see the detail  :) .
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 04:37:07 pm by zwartbles »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Thrush
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 07:09:13 pm »
So that's how their spots are made  :idea:  amazing   In the 22 years we've been in this part of Scotland, there have been only 3 years when we have seen thrushes (one of them last year)  whereas where I grew up in East Anglia we had a plentiful supply.  I wish we had more here - there are plenty of snails for them to open up  ;D
Excellent photo  :trophy:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 12:31:51 am »
We have flocks of fieldfares come through. http://www.garden-birds.co.uk/birds/fieldfare.htm
When I first saw them I thought the were thrushes. They arrive about the end of October and clear all the rotting fallen apples, which are in our back garden and they seem to disappear but I saw a flock in a the paddock the other week. We get the odd thrush but more blackbirds.
  I know not everyone likes starlings, but I love them. In the summer a brood sat in the apple tree while mum flew backward and forwards to the bird feeder. I love how their plumage changes.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 11:31:10 am »
We have at least one pair, they are regulars in our garden.  Not sure if they are mistle or song, but they do sing very nicely sitting in the apple trees.

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 08:32:11 am »
Great photo.

We get quite a lot of thrushes (N Scotland) but they disappear during winter.  The first ones of the year were spotted just yesterday.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 10:06:29 am »
Great pic :thumbsup:

If your thrushes are singing, [member=24813]Foobar[/member], then they’re song thrushes. The mistle thrush makes a noise like someone rasping a comb!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS