Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help Identifying Mower  (Read 4181 times)

certain-death

• Joined Dec 2016
Help Identifying Mower
« on: January 24, 2018, 10:46:13 pm »
Looking for some help identifying make/model of a 4 disc mower I bought. Unfortunately the model badge has rusted off.

There’s a part number on the gearbox : FR 194 203 but googling doesn’t bring up any relative hits. Also has Niveau Huile stamped on the top side centre of cutting bar.

Any help would be appreciated as I’m hoping to get it fixed up.

Thanks

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Help Identifying Mower
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 07:27:16 am »
A photograph is needed to identify, not part numbers which most people do not remember.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 07:45:43 am »
'Niveau Huile' translates as 'oil level' so I guess the mower is French- fixing it may be difficult?

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 12:32:45 pm »
'Niveau Huile' translates as 'oil level'

:roflanim: Guess you didn't google that bit then certain-death.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 02:14:30 pm »
Is it a 6' mower ?

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 04:16:10 pm »
Post a photo we might have half a chance of helping

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 05:23:41 pm »
Try translating English to French on Google and then do a search. Perhaps photo of what you have will come up? Don't specify measurements in feet as they will be pieds, human feet.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 06:59:33 pm »
Kuhn are French and make disc mowers.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 07:32:12 pm »
'Niveau Huile' translates as 'oil level' so I guess the mower is French- fixing it may be difficult?

:trophy:   :roflanim:

Best post of the month, made me laugh out loud. Thanks.  :roflanim:

All the best with fixing your mower!

certain-death

• Joined Dec 2016
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 11:21:16 pm »
Sorry though I had uploaded photo's in the first post but obviously not  ???

Did google the writing and seen it translated to "oil level" but still didn't help in finding the make/model.

Guy I got it from thought it was a Kuhn, but I've tried googling images of every small kuhn I can find but none look the same.

Hopefully there should be pictures attached this time.

certain-death

• Joined Dec 2016
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 11:54:59 pm »
Turns out "Niveau Huile Kuhn" was the search term I needed for google.

Turns out it's a Garnier FR194. Pity I didn't pay attention in French at school, as it appears all the manuals I can find are in French.

Anyone have anymore details on this model? Is it worth trying to save or should I just count my loses and look for something else? Theres a few bearings gone that need replaced. Other than that it all spins fine on the PTO.

Thanks

Ian

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 07:37:17 am »
The bearings shouldn't be a problem as they will be standard metric sizes hopefully. I had to replace seals on a Dutch rotorvator and just took the measurements to the local repair shop. Seems they had access to a huge range of parts and got the replacements quickly and cheaply.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 11:30:57 am »
The " bearing boys "  website have a fantastic range of all sizes of bearing & types & excellent prices . Most bearings will have the part number engraved , stamped or chemically etched on the outer rim side face  , if you use that number to order you should get a good like for like replacement but there are some other things you'll need to know when ordering to ensure you get teh exact replacement .

Some bearings also have a series of tiny rings etched on the rim just after the part numbers they indicate the quality of the bearing . The more rings the higher specification for temperature range , loading & speed they are designed for .

Take note ( Photograph s ?)  of which way bearing come off shafts / out of seats as some are directionally loaded but are  not taper roller bearing .

Bearing also have three options 
Open low cost where you can see the balls inside the carrier frames .
Steel shielded where a pressed steel shield is covering the balls & carrier 
Sealed for life bearings  which are filled with very high spec grease & ball bearings & have a rubber coated washers pressed in the sides of the bearing  over the balls & carriers .. these bearings are usually but not always the most expensive and accurate bearing .

Sometime folk will have changed a bearing with whatever was available & it fails prematurely ... if your bearing housings have grease nipples they will usually be open or steel shielded bearings .
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 11:47:14 am by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS