Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mesh  (Read 10163 times)

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
Mesh
« on: January 23, 2018, 09:29:35 pm »
Am building some new hutchs and am looking for some 14 gauge mesh with 1x 1/2 inch holes in but can't find any???? We're do you get your mesh from thanks chris

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Re: Mesh
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 03:11:29 pm »
Try searching for the name " weldmesh " look for  the galvanizing done by electroplating not hot dip as hot dip wrecks the rabbits feet in a lot of cases  due to the coarseness ofthe surface finish . I used to by my cage stuff from a company called Muncasters , but I think they are long gone .
I purchased it in 100 & 50 mtr rolls , got the wire " J " clips & clip pliers from the same place
 To make good strong cages with a good lid allow 60 clips per cage .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 03:47:23 pm »
I bought it from eBay! I think it's about £30 for 50m roll.
You can use 14g for the walls but not floor as it's to soft. Use 12g
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 03:56:00 pm »
Thanks for the replys, can you put a link up the the mesh ? I can't find it on eBay, thanks

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 04:09:30 pm »
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F272899995165
This is the correct size mesh but a bit thinner than you want. Unless you just want it for the side panels
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 05:48:49 pm »
Yes it's for the floor so will have to be 12 or 14 gauge I think ? Only place I can find it is USA ?
Only need enough to do 2 hutchs

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 12:48:42 pm »
Try sending an email to theses guys. They might cut a 6x3 panel in half .
 Note it is hot dipped so you will have to check that the roughest side is downwards outside the cage to stop the rabbits getting sore hocks & starting a bacterial infection that will wipe out all your rabbits if it's not spotted in time ..

When my does kindled , about 10 days after till they were nearly three weeks old  I put straw down on the floor of the cages so that when the babies came out they didn't get their legs stuck in the holes of the mesh it's not such a problem 15 x 40 mm 12 gauge mesh but the 15 x 50  do tend to get clogged with fecal matter from the larger does more than the 3/4 mesh ones do .
 !9 mm mesh is the better size  ( 3/4 " ) compared to the  25 mm mesh

www.ultimate-one.co.uk/fencing-applications-agricultural-wire-fencing-c-90_135?osCsid=kdqhqca7ken1tgh1n611v59165

At the time we ceased rabbit farming white flat  plastic floors were starting to come on the market . The best we saw had pyramid shaped holes in them this was used with the widest opening downwards . There were no sharp edges  fecal matter occasionally built up on the walking surface but because of the cone shaped holes it rarely caused a problem for the people we knew who used them .we got some from Spain but I think a company called EAUDYKE rabbits near Spalding lincs was selling them ( expensive) 

Perhaps  a Google search for perforated plastic pet floor panels sort of thing might show them in use /available in the UK if Eaudyke is no longer  farming rabbits .

You might also try looking for stainless steel mesh for your floors if you cannot find it in mild steel . Due to stainless being softer than steel two  transverse support (  8 to 10 mm ) rods might be needed to support the mid part of the floor . This mesh is made by auto spot welding  and some times has very sharpe spurs on it at the joints a fine warding file  takes them off nicely  but be prepared to spend an hour or more per panel filing them smooth .  For our really small miniature dwarf rabbits ( years of selective breeding ) we used 10 mm mesh for the whole cage to keep vermin out as the mini mini rabbits were worth a lot of money .
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 01:13:21 pm by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 05:47:10 pm »
Yes it's for the floor but iv been told it has to be 1/2 x 1 inch rectangle holes ?

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2018, 08:27:59 pm »
I think Eaudike rabbits is no more, iv seen the plastic flooring it looks very good but again can only find it in the USA

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2018, 10:45:11 pm »
Whilst we are still in the Eu  perhaps use Google translate to put up " Plastic rabbit cage floor "  into eBay Spain , France or Belgium & see what comes up .
Or try Alibaba's chinese version of eBay.....  it's massive .

I often import EU & Chinese sourced goods , it makes them a little expensive but some times it's the only place they can be found .

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2018, 11:15:30 pm »
https://www.fermo.pl/produkt-1564-klatka-dla-krolikow-maxi-dwa-stanowiska-z-pelnym-wyposazeniem.html
I was considering buying two of those cages once upon a time. They cost about £80 + £20 for delivery from Poland.
Includes one double cage with nest boxes feeders and drinkers. Have a look at the floor. It's made from plastic slats. Quite a good idea. You can stuck them up as well

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2018, 07:26:07 pm »
They look smart macgro and not to expensive, am making a plywood hutch with a mesh floor and pull out trays as it will be out side ,

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2018, 08:45:19 pm »
Found some 10 gauge 1/2 x 3 inch mesh , will that be any good or to long ? Thanks

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2018, 11:16:08 am »
Found some 10 gauge 1/2 x 3 inch mesh , will that be any good or to long ? Thanks

That converts to 2.50 mm dia wire it could be good but I think you will need two  supports under the longest length to stop it bouncing  .

One other thing that came to mind yesterday is to see if you have a light industry fabrication company near you and ask how much it would be to have two floors made on a CNC punch machine ... punch 17 mm holes then counter sink punch them doewn app 1.6 mm to make slight cups  make the holes say 25 mm between centres , turning the outer edges down to cuve the punched shet extra strencth the counter sunk punched holes to be downward facing .

I had several hundreds of 1450 mm galv strips made on a CNC air bed punch machine . It was a lot cheaper than  getting a tinsmith to do it by hand and a darn sight more
accurate . 
 I've  also has several thousand multi hole mounting brackets made in stainless that cost me 40 p each on top of the price made in 3 mm  18/18 stainless .

18/18 stainless is a high spec marine grade stainless steel used in the food industry due to it not being affected by low strength acids & alkalies.

Punched floors made from it would be amazing especially if the punch was also used to put in some rounded 1.5 mm ridges on the longest length every 75  to 80 mm for extra strength

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2018, 02:07:34 pm »
Thanks for the advice cloddropper it's much appreciated, I will have a ring around some fabrication units and get a price , the 3x1/2 is £60 delivered for a 8x4 sheet

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS