Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Large Shed help....  (Read 2436 times)

LeanneR88

• Joined Jan 2014
Large Shed help....
« on: January 22, 2018, 07:46:09 pm »
Looking to put up a large Shed roughly 40ft x 40ft on a rough bit of land at side of house to be used for horses and sheep.

Ideally would be built so far up with bricks then metal frame on top.

Is permission needed for this? We are based in Aberdeenshire

winkhound

• Joined Sep 2014
Re: Large Shed help....
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 09:01:17 pm »
im not sure about planning laws in Scotland but you should just ask your local planning officer.

building your shed as described doesn't sound like it will work to me, so prob best do some research first. easiest/quickest would be steel frame and if you wanted brick in fill.

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 08:38:54 am »
what you need to know is here, or links to relevant sites if different in Scotland https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings

LeanneR88

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 12:29:26 pm »
I agree the way I described it doesn't seem right!!!

My partners dad is helping me to look at designs etc never done anything like this before!!!

Thanks for the link will have a read of it now :)

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 05:40:48 pm »
Its normally advisable not to mention horses as they are not classed as agricultural animals unless they are working horses.  As far as I lnow you cant get agri planning if its got anything to do with with horses.

I would think calling it an 'implement shed' to store and service any working vehicles would be the best route.

You would need to show that you needed the shed for agricultural activities - so you would probably need to show the independent assessor the amount of stock you have or what land you are farming for a living and why you need a shed to help you better your business.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 05:41:53 pm »
Actually just read again - its by your house so in the curtalidge and your asking about permitted development. - doh

its far too big for permitted development.

LeanneR88

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 09:08:08 pm »
Whats the rule on size for permitted development?

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 10:03:21 pm »
Actually just read again - its by your house so in the curtalidge and your asking about permitted development. - doh

its far too big for permitted development.

A "rough bit of land at the side of the house to be used for horses and sheep" sounds far to big to be included as curtilage.

However, in the unlikely event that it is part of the curtilage, then a 40' x 40' shed would not be too big (provided it took up no more than half of the curtilage). It would certainly be considered as permitted development and as such would not need planning. There are, however, restrictions as to siting and height of the building.

Do a bit of research on the internet and find out for yourself the definition of curtilage and its permitted rights. But whatever you do - do not consult the council  planners. You might be lucky and get a rare helpful one, but most are not worth talking to and are very negative. For a successful outcome you are better reading up or talking to a professional planner. Mine charges £65/hour and is worth every penny. Do it once - do it right.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 10:10:24 pm by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS