Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Soup.  (Read 4141 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Soup.
« on: January 19, 2018, 03:27:41 pm »
Something I make a lot of over the winter. Mostly the usual kind like lentil, scotch broth or just veg. Now I am having a go at adding chillie, garlic, beans, peppers and tomato. Sometimes pasta too. What other kinds of soup do people make ?

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
Re: Soup.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 03:37:45 pm »
I made my first Borscht last weekend; tasty enough, and astonishing colour! Golden stilton is a firm favorite here. And spicy parsnip.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 04:06:02 pm »
Chicken with tarragon and lemon is my very favourite. Tuscan Bean as well.

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 09:41:14 pm »
I love soup and there are always leftovers which get frozen and the next time I make soup my husband asks why i'm making more when the freezer is full of the stuff!

My absolute favourite is homemade mushroom soup, broccoli and cheddar and cauliflower and bacon, yum!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 11:06:16 pm »
If we've had a tasty stew, any kind, whatever is left over has something like a tin of chopped tomatoes, or fresh or frozen ones, added, then reheated, whizzed with the mixy stick and hey presto, tasty, meaty soup.  Otherwise I might make vegetable soup with whatever is available, or squash soup with bacon, or potato and leek, or carrot and cooking apple.  The leftovers from my oh so tasty bean and hogget stew from a few days ago are now frozen so I can convert them into soup when it's too late in the day to make some from scratch.  I find that if I don't use the frozen leftovers within a couple of weeks then they end up unused.
I agree that soup is a wonderful dish  :yum:  and so easy to make.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 12:22:05 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 11:44:39 pm »
Just finished a panful of pea and ham which I make a lot of. Also like lentil and tomato, carrot and coriander, borscht, vegetable and chicken and vegetable. I also love Oxtail except it's nearly impossible to buy oxtails now.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 12:27:35 am »
I bought an oxtail from the butcher who chops our hogget.  A lot of work to make the soup, picking little bits of meat from the bones, then I wasn't impressed with the flavour (probably the cook's fault  :eyelashes: ). 

There was a whodunnit I read where the murder weapon was a frozen oxtail, which was promptly cooked and eaten to remove the evidence.  The tail bones in the dustbin were the clue to solving the crime  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 07:09:21 am »
Soups are ourbspeciality! In our (Polish) culture dinner means soup (as starter), main and dessert. Therefore we have a lot of soups.
-rosó? - clear chicken soup
-barszcz - betroot soup with its many forms, I.e. Christmas version is clear with little dumplings. Easter version is with roast meat (cut in small poeces), boiled egg, white curd cheese and sour cream. The "ukrainian" version is with broad beans and some other stuff
-krupnik - pearl barley soup
-mushroom soup
-tomato soup - eaten either with pasta or rice
There's plenty more  :thinking:
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 10:25:19 am »
Ah, now I’m all nostalgic for soups with a name and a recipe.

With 30 of us, soups here are all-the-leftovers-and-veg-that-need-eating whizzed up :).  Always different and pretty much always tasty.  But all unrepeatable!  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 01:54:43 pm »
When i was a youngster my mum always had a muslin bag of dried ceps hanging over the central heating boiler. Staple winter soup was potato and cep with addition from the stock-pot and any leftover meat bits or veggie chucked in.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 12:30:49 am »
Just remember when my children were children years ago and we were very hard up, we always had a chicken on Sunday and again on Monday, then I would take the little bits of meat off the bones to make poultryman's pie for Tuesday and boil up the carcass. After that I would add any left over veg and boil it all up every day. On Saturday, our dinner (as in main meal) was a big bowl of soup, which was pretty thick by then, grated cheese over the top and crusty bread. It was the meal that no one ever complained about other than my daughter who is vegetarian and has been since she was five.

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 06:29:47 pm »
We grow borlotti which I like using to make pasta de fagioli

Lots of leek and potato, too

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018, 09:21:54 pm »
Does anyone have good recipe for a pumpkin soup (or pie or whatever)?
I still have three large winter squashes (probably around 5 kg each) on top of my fridge. Don't really know what do do with them any more!
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2018, 10:24:35 pm »
I would roast the pumpkin with garlic and rosemary then stick it in a pan with some stock for a bit then whizz. Maybe add a bit of cream depending on personal preference.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 09:14:10 am »
As above :).  Add a bit of ginger or cardomum or chilli if you want a bit of a bite.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS