Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: wing clipping and perch height  (Read 3837 times)

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
wing clipping and perch height
« on: January 18, 2018, 07:53:45 pm »
I don't clip my hens wings as I've never had a need. However, over the last few years my hens have gone from using the lowish perches I provided for them to using the rafters of the byre. This would be fine except I've had a few leg injuries this past year and I'm concerned it's caused by the hens flying down from the roof. If I clip their wings to discourage them perching so high will they still be able to reach the lower perches which are just over 1m high?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: wing clipping and perch height
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 09:18:30 pm »
What breed are they?  Are they landing awkwardly or don't they have room to do so safely? 

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 07:06:25 am »
They are mixed breed, mostly red hens. I believe they have plenty of room, the byre is about 8m x 3m and the space inside is clear of obstacles. the floor is a traditional stone slab floor and I think some of them may just land awkwardly but are never able to heal because they are flying from that same height every day. They have lower perches and my oldest hen still roosts there but the rest insist on going to up in the rafters.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 09:13:07 am »
When you say mostly red hens are these Lohmanns, Warrens or similar?  If so, and particularly if you acquired them as growers or rescue hens, they may have had an accelerated growth rate which could lead to weak leg bones. 

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 12:03:04 pm »
there's a bit of welsummer and black rock in there but they aren't from any pure strains. They are all home bred, mixture of ages. It's only this last year that I've had a problem but it's only this last year that they've been mostly roosting in the rafters. I wouldn't attribute it to any problem such as weak leg bones etc. I think it's just a long way down and landing on an unforgiving floor.

As I've never bothered to wing clip before I don't know if this will affect their ability to get up to a perch about 1m off the ground or not.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 01:08:51 pm »
I've never done this but I have a neighbour who does it to prevent her Dorkings raiding the vegetable garden and it works very well.  For such heavy birds they're very good fliers.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 09:59:18 pm »
We wing clip when we first get birds then the following year only if they are trouble makers at getting out!

We find it doesn't stop them from getting to their perches (maybe 0.5m) but does stop them flying up to the top of heras panels (~2m).

I remember reading that if perches are high they needs a more padded landing to stop bumblefoot, but I can't remember where I read that.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 08:36:08 am »
I might just have to try it and see how they get on. It does make me wince a bit sometimes when they fly down from the rafters and land on the floor.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 10:47:58 am »
You couldn’t put a layer of straw, or other softer material, on the floor, could you?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 10:55:03 am »
Why don't you just take the top perches away? I find that they will jump from one perch to another to reach the highest, so clipping wings might not work, just make getting down harder..

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 12:33:26 pm »
The ‘top perches’ in question are the rafters of the barn!  Not sure it’d be a good plan to remove them... :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 01:51:58 pm »
Yes, I'm afraid I can't take the rafters out! I could put straw down but it is a very large area and I think it would have to be pretty deep to do any good. Unfortunately straw and hay are really difficult to get hold of here so it's not really something I have a lot of available.

Bonzie

• Joined Dec 2016
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018, 02:22:13 pm »
How about attaching some chicken wire to the under side of the rafters, would that work?

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2018, 06:10:02 pm »
We’ve wing clipped birds that want to escape and foind they are still capable of flying and perching 4-5’.
My last purchase was leghorn from a supplier prone to foxes. He wing clipped for me but only the first couple of feathers so they would still have a chance against a fox - you could try that?

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2018, 10:21:42 pm »
We’ve wing clipped birds that want to escape and foind they are still capable of flying and perching 4-5’.
My last purchase was leghorn from a supplier prone to foxes. He wing clipped for me but only the first couple of feathers so they would still have a chance against a fox - you could try that?

Thanks, they should be ok if they can still fly 4-5' up, foxes aren't a problem so don't need to worry about that

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS