Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: It was to be a small micro smallholding ...........  (Read 1866 times)

tonyd

• Joined Sep 2017
  • Derbyshire
It was to be a small micro smallholding ...........
« on: January 12, 2018, 10:14:14 pm »
We have been looking for land for ages local to where we live without success so we approached the local parish council regarding the overgrown allotments near to us that are well fenced and reasonably secure just under used. Told them we were interested in keeping goats and chickens as well as growing fruit and veg.
The parish office and site officer were very interested and agreeable and said that there were several plots available and there was no problem but said it would just have to go before the parish council for approval before we started BUT that's when the problems started ......
Our plan was discussed unofficially with a local councillor and then the questions started ........   
Why did we want to keep goats? Err for milk and meat ..... you want to eat them ??? Err yes. Ok we will have to discuss this at a general meeting. I have since been told I have to apply in writing for it to be discussed at a full meeting.
Next Chickens how many do you intend keeping ? Not sure yet we have a long term plan for the place so the amount should go up and down. Up and down? Yes we want to keep them for meat and eggs. You want to eat them as well?? I must tell you that council policy is a maximum of 10 per plot under certain conditions. OK and the conditions are? Sorry don't know at present but you will be told IF you apply to keep them.
 Now I was getting the impression that this persons thoughts was ....... why not use a supermarket like normal people.  :D
By now we are peed off and I have two allotments that I think we are just going to end up growing fruit and veg on .... if they can agree to a small poly tunnel on each plot and a green house.
Originally I was told I could have five or six allotments for my smallholding if I wished by the site officer who was as keen as mustard to help and assist in any way he could including helping me with stock fencing in his own time and he even arranged for the two overgrown plots we have agreed to at present to be flailed to give us a head start with them.
To me it seems such a pity and waste of allotment land just sitting their becoming totaly overgrown and looking like waste sites putting people off even aplying for one but then again I don't think the council(s) really want to see allotments utilised because if they can discourage people from wanting them they become abandoned unused places but at the same time prime high value building land.
For us digging and planting is about to start now but I still live in hopes of a few animals.

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
Re: It was to be a small micro smallholding ...........
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 05:51:21 pm »
Good luck, keep persevering and hopefully you will get there in the end.
  :fc:

So many ideas, not enough hours

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 09:48:53 pm »
When we had our two allotments in Edinburgh, we were not allowed to keep any animals at all, let alone ones to sell for profit.  Same with crops - for own use only.  It's all in the bylaws and legal stuff from back when the allotments were first formed. There were weird bits like you could grow a few flowers, though not more than a certain percentage, and they had to be a certain minimum distance back from the path. Maybe it made sense back when it started. The worst thing was the committee in place to enforce all the bylaws and petty daftness - they loved it, little hitlers all.  Then there's the wee b'staards who break in and run amok every now and then - I wouldn't want to have livestock around then.
Sounds like the folk at face to face level are sensible, but there are too many jobsworths lurking in council offices.
I hope you get it sorted soon and you can settle down to the real life of your smallholding.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 11:33:14 pm »
Hi from Shropshire. I hope you manage to get your animals.

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 09:37:24 am »
In this situation I would worry that once local people start seeing the success you are having with the allotment plots they may decide they want to try it as well. If it gets to the point where the other plots get over subscribed then eyes could turn to you with your 6 plots (or however many) and people may start asking why you get the use of so many while other people have to wait for a plot.

I would hope this wouldn't happen, but if it was me, this would always be lingering at the back of my mind. It seems like quite a tenuous hold on a piece of land you plan to spend so much of your blood sweat and tears on

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 11:07:57 am »
I, too, would feel a considerably degree of caution over leaving stock on allotments.  Is there anyone locally with an overgrown garden that would rent it to you for chickens?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS