Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scab  (Read 7193 times)

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Scab
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2018, 11:58:29 am »
From everything you have told us , reads as no scab or lice ,both these spread easily from sheep to sheep and should affect your badger face  .  You can only go on your vets advice since they have examined then several times .  Two different fleece types seems to be the difference . We would all like to see pictures if possible  for future reference

Draygor

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Soar, Brecon, Powys
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2018, 07:36:48 pm »
Hi all, I've brought the 2 x 4yr old ewes into the barn today, as they are particularly bad.

I've attached some photos (I hope the quality is ok, as I had to reduce them).

The photos show the extent of the wool removed by scratching, but also the number of 'cysts' that have been caused by infections due to scratching.

I am seeking the advice of the local farmer with decades of sheep experience who did all the injecting of the sheep for me.

I've got an old cast iron tub that I can 'dip/bathe' them in individually, and will try and get this rolling next weekend.

I will set up the barn as an infirmary and keep them as warm as I can with plenty of straw and heat lamps.

My only concern is that hopefully they are all in lamb and the earliest should be due early March. Will this treatment endanger the unborn lambs?

PS - the blue is Terramycin spray as some of the cycsts had 'popped' and looked painful.

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 07:38:36 pm by Draygor »

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2018, 08:25:19 pm »
Not sure where you are in the country as if you are in the North my comments may not make any sense.   

Is it worth considering good ( ??? ) old fashioned sulphur powder. I used it for lice on goats earlier this year and it worked a treat. But if you go this route get some disposable overalls as it makes your clothes smell forever.

Sulphur in pig oil (liquid paraffin) is a good idea as not only is sulphur an insecticide, but the mixture is very soothing to damaged skin. I've actually used it myself on my face to clear up an irritation that wouldn't go away. Crovect or anything with permethrin in is incredibly  irritating to the skin. Try it yourself on your arm and see how long you can stand it before you have to wash it off! So in their present condition I'm sure your sheep would appreciate something that was actually soothing, rather than causing further irritation. You can get it ready mixed in 5 litre containers from agricultural stores, or smaller amounts separately from a chemist and mix it yourself. Ask for flowers of sulphur and liquid paraffin (or baby oil which is the same thing but with perfume and costs more.) Add something like a teaspoon to a pint and shake till the sulphur has all dissolved. Add  more sulphur till there's an excess left at the bottom and then you know you've got the maximum dissolved. Pour along the back and rub well in to the bare areas.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2018, 08:58:07 pm »
It looks like you've got some deep secondary infection in there so hopefully a long course of betamox will improve things eg actinobacillosis.  Sometimes the initial problem damages the skin, plus the waterproofing fleece, and then a lot of secondary bacteria breech into the deep layers of the skin.
It may be worth discussing immune suppressive illness such as cla, mv, bvd with your vet also,  I guess theres not even a remote possibility of tb?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2018, 12:37:32 pm »
Looks like they are on the recovery road , the scabs look dry  and the skin looks mostly a good colour , you can buy large tubs of udder cream which may soften and put moisture back into the sore areas  .   Wonder if they had Dermatophios ( fleece rot ) at some point . Given time they should be good as new as they look to be in good bodily condition .  Traditionally a lot of hill ewes were dipped In late winter , and so long as they are handled carefully , not a problem for the lambs

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2018, 05:54:18 pm »
From everything you have told us, reads as no scab or lice ,both these spread easily from sheep to sheep and should affect your badger fae . Two different fleece types seems to be the difference.
I keep these two breeds and have noticed that, although they operate as a single flock for the rest of the year, once they're pregnant the ewes split into two groups depending on breed.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2018, 07:05:45 pm »
Not surprised , many sheep breeds will segregate on face colour . The ram would transfer parasites to all at tupping plus they can survive for weeks or even months on wooden gates/posts , trees and in tags of wool on wire /plants etc so easy to spread even between fields

Draygor

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Soar, Brecon, Powys
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2018, 09:22:47 pm »
Thanks everyone so much for the advice, tips and help.  :thumbsup:

I'm phoning the vet in the morning to come and take a fresh look at them and ask her opinion on the shearing and treating with sulphur oil treatment.

If I get the thumbs up, I will aim for next weekend to complete it all.

I'll let you know how I get on.  :fc:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2018, 09:20:57 am »
Also mineral / vitamins drench or jag ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS