Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Price of Highland beef?  (Read 2838 times)

Hardfeather

Price of Highland beef?
« on: October 14, 2010, 10:48:42 am »
I've been offered at least half a Highland stirk, which will probably amount to approximately 125 kg of beef. What would be a reasonable price per kilo for that, butchered, please?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Price of Highland beef?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 10:28:42 am »
Oh how I envy you - we cant get decent beef here.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 03:15:48 pm »
I've been offered at least half a Highland stirk, which will probably amount to approximately 125 kg of beef. What would be a reasonable price per kilo for that, butchered, please?

Are you going to eat 250+ lb beef? Do you want to share?

Hardfeather

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 06:29:32 pm »
Yes, Rosemary, we do want to share. I was intending asking my in-laws and other rels, but don't want the complications that will bring. ;D ;)

It'll be available in about 2 or 3 weeks' time. We can talk about it before that. I'm away tomorrow, but may see you Sunday if you're about.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 08:11:52 pm »
So - what is considered a reasonable price? I'm also getting a Highland steer slaughtered. ( Yes it's Hamish, but he's had a good life. At least he'll be going straight to the abbatoir and not chased round a market.) Round here they charge about £3.50/lb for Highland mince and about £ 20/lb for fillet, which probably averages out at @ £10/lb and that seems rather a lot to me. So what do other people charge for @ 250lbs meat?   
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS