Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shetland cattle  (Read 14030 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Shetland cattle
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 07:14:06 pm »
We picked ours up from Aberdeen on 21st October. Where are you based?

We just love them. They're inside just now as they had to be jagged by the vet as they had been running with the bull (Dad) and we're having them dehorned in January, so we're keeping them in until they love us or at least love the feed bucket. We're working on halter training and if Dan gets organised, we'll do a wee video of progress to date.

hairyhetty

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 01:18:23 pm »
we got our 2 heifer calves 2 wks bak, wer near peterhead. mine are great. we feed them twice a day and now one will come to bucket while you hold it. they were bit shy but we put them behind gate and put halter on, and handled them for few days, now theyre not as scared. one was kicking alot but we stroked her gently with a pole and shes mostly stopped kicking. theyre still shy but are following a bucket!! (sorry but im so chuffed - major milestone!!). ive opened yard gate and theyre wandering in field but mostly hanging around haylage and barn, so they know where they live. why are you dehorning them? i was told theyr very unlikely to butt you. i expect its the feet you need to watch. where are you based?  :love: :wave:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2010, 03:22:58 pm »
Carnoustie.

Blizzard broke a horn so it needs to come off. It was obvioulsy pretty painful and I'm worried that it happens again. Breeze is pretty hard on her sister; I've a few bruises as well not through aggression but through play. Their horns don't seem to serve any useful purpose. We will probably have future calves disbudded.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2010, 06:03:01 pm »
no don't it spoil there looks. i can understand with the older ones but have a good think about any calves.

hairyhetty

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2010, 06:16:03 pm »
sorry i agree with shetlandpaul. theyre beautiful with horns. the shetlanders lead them wi rope round horns and nothing else. we had a g.g. goat once that had bin disbudded badly b4 we had her, and she was left with a long floppy horns that curled wrong way. they both ended up getting ripped off in field on separate occassions - dont know how. neva grew bak after that. i understand if ones bin broken and is painful. are yours just calves too? mine have only got tiny horns at mo.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2010, 08:02:33 pm »
They're March born so 9 months or so.

The horns are only nice if they are well shaped. Now Blizzard only has one anyway.

I don't have a recent photo but here they are at 6 months or so.

hairyhetty

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2010, 08:13:46 pm »
they are completely gorgeous. lucky you! what colour are they, (couldnt quite see)? i love their markings. mine are mainly black with white, still only 6 mths, (trondra herd) are you going to show them? im hoping to next year - might be funny, have visions in my head already of landing belly-up in ring. lol!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2010, 08:30:58 pm »
I don't plan to show them - I don't think there is much in the way of classes for them.

They are Beadies Breeze and Beadies Blizzard (the one with more white). They are dun and white. Their sire is Creadyknowe Ertie, who is white and dun. Their dams are both Trondra cows - Diana (2007 and Blizzard's dam) and Cara (2008) - they are black and white.

hairyhetty

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2010, 08:45:31 pm »
really like them, do you have a bull lined up for next year? are you gona milk them?

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2010, 10:17:47 pm »
the tronda herd is a very good one. they have a croft trail lots of shetland stock. you are very lucky to have got them.  nice colours. you should be able to show them. were there dexters competing against normal milk cows at the royal/welsh can't remember.

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2010, 06:38:44 am »
Rosemary
your girls look lovely...... ;D
i am soooooo jealous would love some cattle but not enough  land!  :'(
i'll just have to join your pleasure having them. Keep the pictures coming.
Mx :cow: :farmer:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2010, 12:36:12 pm »
I'm going to use AI rather than bring a bull on. Because they are from Shetland, which is BVD and Johne's free and the herd is TB clear, I want to preserve the health status so don't plan to bring any other cattle on. If I want to expand, I'll keep any heifer calves.

Yes, I plan to milk once a day and let them rear their calves as well - share and share alike  ;D

hairyhetty

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2010, 02:53:12 pm »
well, we'l have to swop notes when the time comes. one let me stroke her today while she was eating, so chuffed. her facial expressions are great, i think she likes us though! such a sweet breed.

rbarlo32

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2010, 04:18:08 pm »
rosemary
the shetland cattle book folks have a great book on the hundred years of shetland cows. its quite an intresting read worth a look anyway.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2010, 05:50:14 pm »
rosemary
the shetland cattle book folks have a great book on the hundred years of shetland cows. its quite an intresting read worth a look anyway.

Got it!  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS