Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: "Aberdeen Angus Sired"?  (Read 8397 times)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: "Aberdeen Angus Sired"?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2018, 10:18:15 am »
Could well be... nothing wrong with the Angus and it is easier calving but on big framed lim x cows who can mostly take a continental bull it makes sense to move him on. We don’t finish though which if we did would probably be more inclined to keep an Angus bull. Swings and roundabouts I guess?

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2018, 12:33:44 pm »
There is a good market here for Angus sired calves from dairy cows as they are bought for calf rearing units, who then go on to supply supermarkets.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2018, 07:47:38 pm »
We have had an Angus bull for the last 14mths, watched store prices with interest and Angus store bullocks never make what a good Limousin bullock of the same age would. So he is now sold and back to a Limousin bull to run as stock sire. Selling as store never seems to get the Angus premium passed down to the breeder.

A lot of dairy herds use Angus sweeper bulls and on their heifers for easy first time calving.

I agree. I have never seen a good Angus X  calf fetch anything like what a good Lim X fetches. Logical really as a Lim reaches a greater size and achieves more/kg when fat.
I keep Herefords, for the simple reason they are a lot quieter and easier to handle than many Lims. But like Twizzel don't notice any additional premium whether I use a pedigree bull or not.   
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2018, 10:38:44 am »
Two things. Yes, a top Limi will fetch more than a top AAx.  But to get the top dollar for the former requires skill, experience and feed. If you have to buy cake in, you’ll probably spend about as much on cake as the extra the bullock makes ;).  And the calving costs are higher for Limis, unless you are very lucky.

2. You won’t get the premium unless you ask for it and prove it.  So when selling, you need to state that the animal is pedigree native bull sired, and that you have put a copy of the bull’s pedigree with the passport.  If selling in the ring, you need to tell the auctioneer this and have him call it out. An Angus x bullock without proof of being sired by a pedigree bull will not fetch the premium, no.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS