Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cider  (Read 10824 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Cider
« on: July 31, 2010, 07:19:35 am »
We are planning to make cider this year. We seem to have a bumper apple crop. Have bought an apple crusher and an 11L cider press.

We've got no idea of course but we'll follow any advice and hubby is reading up.

I don't think we have specific "cider apples" on the trees.

Will that matter?

Susanna
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Cider
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 07:52:37 am »
Dan's says not, but that's based on research rather than actual practice on our part. But I've had cider made from Cox's apples, so it must be OK to use eaters. Good luck - looking forward to hearing how you get on! Samples for tasting welcome  ;D

Samantha

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Bristol
    • Merry Meet
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 01:52:30 pm »
only cider I have made so far was a kit form so I can't be much help to you there .. sorry

Very interested in how your cider making goes .. keep us informed :)

Sam

Barcud

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 10:06:51 am »
The final taste will obviously depend on your balance of apples. Ciders tend to be a mixture of bittersweets and sharps, but as said I've tasted straight Cox and its very good.
I'd use more cookers than eaters in your mix if you can.
Half the enjoyment is in the anticipation of what it will turn out like ;D
and it will be pretty alcoholic whatever ;)
Mike

dizzy1pig

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Leuchars, Fife
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 08:51:21 pm »
I can manage to get my apples to pulp,
But without a press how should i get the juice   easily as possible :-\ :-\ :yum:

Sandy

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 10:30:46 pm »
Oh, hope it turns out good, there was someone posted ages ago with a photo of a huge cider press...not sure who that was but I think I upset them sorry sorry sorry whoever you were...as they suggested something and I disagreed but it did sound a bit agressive and that is definatley NOT like me!!! I would love to try some home brewing from wild stuff, not the time or the push just yet, but maybe one day!!!! Hic!!

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 08:50:09 pm »
Well - of - course - we've got all the gear and no idea.....javascript:void(0);

Apple crush, cider press - all shiney and new!!!! Can't quite work out how the ratchet thing works on top of the cider press but.....

We have got more cookers than eaters on the trees - a good crop this year.... funny that - we had masses of plums last year and no apples. This year it's the reverse.

I am a bit worried because I bought a bottle of home made cider at our local show on Saturday and it was absolutely disgusting. Even the dog wouldn't try it!!!

We are starting to save the windfalls now and only feed the small and less perfect ones to the pigs.

Very exciting.

Susanna

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 02:38:11 pm »
Just in case you are initially disappointed by cider made by yourself of other locally, when I've made it from kits, the stuff takes a long time to clear.

The result is a slightly hazy brew which tasks slightly sour or 'off'. This is because of the particles of yeast left in the liquid. I bottle the brew after about 2 weeks in a barrel. I use old 2 litre plastic drink bottles (cider, Cola, whatever) and leave it for at least another month - longer if possible. Any yeast will eventually settle as a light brown sludge.

The cider will probably be slightly fizzy but be careful if there is a lot of gas. When the bottle is opened this will cause the cider to foam and re-decorate any room in which this takes place! Even a little foaming will re-mix the sediment into the cider making it undrinkable. If so, leave for another 24 hours in the fridge and all should be well.

If the bottle is under internal pressure try cooling it thoroughly in the fridge door (don't freeze) and then gently release the gas pressure in several stages, possibly over 24 hours if there is a lot of gas. Then decant the cider into another clean bottle or bowl if it froths too much. In a bowl the gas will disperse easily when the cider can be re-bottled. Because the cider is really cold there will still be a good supply of fizz when it warms but there is now very little sediment so the taste will be good.

I hope this helps with the bottle of locally made cider you purchased.

NN
Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

Squinky

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 08:37:52 pm »
Hi, I'm about to have my first go at this. My question is, should I add sugar? No idea what variety of apples I have, but they are eaters. I'd rather not have something I could run a car on first go, so add sugar or not. What do you think? A pal does add sugar, but I've drunk some of his stuff (at least I've been told I have......zzzzzz :-))
Johnny

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 09:08:11 pm »
My OH has just finished making a cider press where the pressure will be made from a bottle jack.  I'm going to send him a link for this thread.  I think he is just in the process of reading up on Cider making and getting all his work mates to give him their windfalls! ;D

YorkshireSmallholder

• Joined Jun 2008
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 01:49:59 pm »
Hi all,

we've been making cider for the last 5 or 6 years now & i've read no better article than this one: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/scrumpy/cider/cider.htm I think i may have posted it somewhere before but it tells you most of what you need to know. We make ours from what we get from our own trees (all eaters) & what we can scrounge from anyone else(including a few cookers). The great thing is the difference you get from year to year - even from doing things the same way - in much the same way as some wine vintages are better than others. Personally I add sugar according to taste - ie, if the juice tastes a little bitter after pressing i'll add about 250g of sugar per 5 - 6 gallons of juice. If it tastes sweet enough i don't add any. But then I do like my cider to have a bit of a kick!!

A word of warning though - don't assume because it's all natural you won't get a hangover!! I've made that mistake too many times before  ;D

Good luck

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 05:57:27 pm »
Well - we did a preliminary pick this afternoon and got ten boxes of apples. There's still loads on the trees :-(

Anybody got any idea how much cider this might make?

Susanna

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 06:06:58 pm »
Well - we did a preliminary pick this afternoon and got ten boxes of apples. There's still loads on the trees :-(

Anybody got any idea how much cider this might make?

Susanna

lots  ;D

Sandy

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 10:22:31 pm »
 ;DHic ;Dhic

trev iow

• Joined Oct 2010
  • isle of wight
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 10:38:27 pm »
from my limited experience using a home made press  with a hyd jack i find about 20lb apples makes about one gallon.it seems to vary a bit depending on what type of apples are being used.it also depends on how' pulpy' the pulp is.at present i use a 14lb sledgehammer in a strong bucket which is okay for fairly small amounts.i have considered using a garden shredder and would be interested to know how successful this method is.trev,isle of wight

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS