Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Plum wine !  (Read 5561 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Plum wine !
« on: July 28, 2010, 11:09:49 am »
well I can see I will have to direct hubby here now!! since last year we've made plum wine which is 17% proof and have been approached by a local vintner to make 200L for him to sell on. As I type Tony is downstairs crushing his latest plums (oo-er!) and we are picking them daily, we will be doing so for the next 6 weeks!!

would be nice to read about other home made brews too!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
Re: Plum wine !
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 11:49:22 am »
Poor Mr Plums, hope he can walk in a straight line after spending all day picking and then crushing his plums.  :o ;D

On another note there is a guy where i live who advertised in the parish mag asking for anyone with plum/sloe/damson trees to donate any unused fruit. It turns out he is home making different wines and spirits (vodka, gin etc) anyway he is making a killing! perhaps something else for you to do? Still thin plum wine ice cubes has got some merit  :wave:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 11:55:50 am »
haha!! yep, will have some of them in the freezer!!!  the kids have been brilliant this year so far - only had one fall out of a tree picking the top fruit yet.  last year they moaned all summer, this year I am bribing them  ;)

will have to get some cheap voddy etc and put some plums in for xmas pressies - thanks for reminding me of that one WP  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Samantha

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Bristol
    • Merry Meet
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 12:49:50 pm »
Ohhh wonderful .. perhaps you can share a plum wine recipe .. i get a load of plums from a friend every year .. this is something else to potentially do with them :)

Sam

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 02:46:21 pm »
I have got a victoria plum in the garden and it is laden down with fruit, makes a lovely jam and also i freeze some stewed ones for a crumble in the winter months  :yum:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 03:17:36 pm »
I'll have to ask Tony for his recipe - I'm only involved in the first and last stages (picking and drinking!!) I know there are lots of plums, raisins, sugar and little sachets involved but thats it!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 08:47:58 am »
half way through plum harvest and we are up to about 300L of wine fermenting in our old caravan. Its that time of year again where I mutter how much I hate plums!!

the victoria's aren't even out properly yet  ::)

SLI

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 01:46:29 pm »
Hi,  :chook:
I've been reading the plum wine saga with interest as I've just started picking plums from my tree. (I've got a bit bored as there are so many, hence sneaking off to the laptop). I was thinking of having a go at plum vodka & am assuming about 1lb of fruit to 1lb or so of sugar & prick the fruit??? I also have damsons & was going to make damson gin.
Could anyone give me a few pointers please?  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS