Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Just a heads up on a new forum - now with link! lol  (Read 16081 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Just a heads up on a new forum - now with link! lol
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 11:40:36 am »
No, it wasn't a personal attack, merely an observation.  I didn't realise you were personally involved in that forum and that you had aims of separating people who are landowners from those of us who only have large gardens - my apologies for not interpreting the information correctly.  Perhaps you are right, your forum is not for me as I only have an acre, I only grow vegetables and fruit for myself, I only have ducks and chickens as I live too close to the village for their safety.  Thank you for clarifying the matter, and I wish you the best of good fortune with your forum. ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

piggybank

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 12:01:30 pm »
Hi,

The forum is a joint venture between a couple of others and me.  It came about because we’ve found it difficult to find a forum that serves our particular needs.  Which are to network and form working co-op’s esque style (for want of a better description :D) links with those producing predominant amounts of their annual income off their land, and who struggle to get the machinery they need or investment. 

Now if that’s you and you have a 3’ balcony box, hats off to you and can you tell me your secret?? ::D

The ‘actual’ The.Grange used was because she wanted to emphasise the difference between those amongst us who keep a few chickens and a weaner for our own use, who probably do this to supplement their income, to those amongst us who spend the vast majority of their working day on their land and it forms a large part of their income if not all, but who are not commercial or have a huge turnover so struggle to get an extra pair of hands, be it links to those hands or affording them.

I hope that goes some way to explaining why the ‘actual’ was important to us and not meant to be exclusive to others.

The forum description has been modified so as anyone stumbling across it by chance won’t get the wrong end of the stick.

Cheers
Piggybank

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 12:30:26 pm »
Heehee! You've actually put 'actually' in your elevator pitch. Sorry, I shouldn't giggle. I'm a bit disappointed really because I thought it would be great to have a 'local' forum. Sadly, I don't meet all the criteria.

I do think it's sad that the above debate has arisen, especially when you have just launched the forum. But by the stance you have taken and the capital letters you have used in the forum introduction you may have wiped out a lot of visitors who may be 'in-betweenies' or may be growing into the group you describe and who may have had much to offer your forum.

cairnhill

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 12:56:57 pm »
and the link is.......................??????????? :D

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 01:05:18 pm »
OP fogot it, put it on, then removed his/her post.
It's here:

http://fromfieldtofork.myfastforum.org/index.ph

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2010, 04:46:15 pm »
Peace, people.

The use of the word "actual" may appear misjudged since it has lead to some misinterpretation - it is one of the drawbacks of the written word.

I can't see the forum developed by The.Grange and piggybank, but from piggybank's post it seems like a really good idea - a sort of skill share, locally based. This hasn't been an issue for us at Longcarse as it was basically a big garden, but it will be more of an issue at Dalmore, which we'll be running more like a business.

For example, one of my sheep bugbears is the size of wormer / fly spray / vaccines - the smallest Heptavac is 25 doses, to be used within 10 hours of opening. I have 6 sheep - it would be great to be able link with local people to share these things. I had hoped CSSA might do that but it hasn't yet.

Dan and I aren't precious about this - the more folk that support local food growing, whatever size and aspirations, are OK by us.

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2010, 05:51:32 pm »
 Peace  :wave:

I liked the idea of it too. As you say, linking with local people, and it is in my area.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2010, 06:07:54 pm »
Yup, peace from me too :wave:  I wasn't casting nasturtiums, just felt exclusivity and inclusivity weren't the best of ideas when all of us are of a like mind.  Good luck to them, and to any aspiring smallholders who might be able to join their forum even though they don't yet qualify. ACTUALLY  ;)  I'm not wholly convinced  if they'll get much more/better advice/help than they would on here, except if it's local. If there was something similar here and I felt I might be able to get somewhere bigger than I have now I might just join it.  It's a pity The Grange felt she couldn't stay.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2010, 07:16:27 pm »
Well Im kinda surprised at this thread, I thought it peace and harmony all round, well there you go!!!!
Craig

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2010, 08:16:22 pm »
Is that the same Little Blue on there that's on here?

yes it is.... hello.
the forum you're all talking about is kind of "a local site, for local people" to paraphrase the heroes of Royston Vassey, to network/swap/share in a Midlands community.
whats wrong with that??!!

be nice people, theres a whole real world out there!!
:)
Little Blue

smiffy

• Joined Jun 2008
    • http://www.northmoor-rarebreeds.com/
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2010, 08:17:12 pm »
i am quite upset by this thread..... i invited the grange to join tas as we were lovely friendly people.

NOT LIKE ALL THOSE OTHER FORUMS!!!!

the written word is so easily misinterprited, and it seems in this case we have frightened off a very helpful, knowledgable person, who set up a new forum to help us local folk..... :( :(

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2010, 08:32:21 pm »
I'll second that Smiffy,
It all seems abit daft to me.
 (although I'm not too sure of the "ethics" of using somebody elses forum to promote your own!  Well said Rosemary, about not being precious!)
Little Blue

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2010, 08:34:49 pm »
Perhaps someone who knows The Grange could pm her and ask her to come back ??????   :) :) :)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2010, 10:40:55 pm »
I do think it is a good idea, for local co-op etc. However, I do agree the wording on the forum could put some people off.

Anyone had a chance to speak to The.Grange?

Beth
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 10:48:53 pm by ballingall »

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2010, 11:32:52 pm »
I have met the lady in question (The Grange) when she came to collect some ex battery hens from me last week.

She came across as a nice person, who was very interested in smallholding in general.  It is a shame she felt she had to leave, when she had hardly posted.

Now, what was I sayinig only the only day about TAS not being like other forums?

Well, I ain't leaving, I like it here :D

I have joined the other forum, because I thought being local to me, it was a good idea.  When you only have a few acres of land, its hard sometimes to get hay making equipment etc. or chain harrows.  This way, maybe we can help each other out doing different things.  And things like buying in bulk.  Someone local to share a wagon load of straw maybe, is a bonus.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS