Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: wood/multi-fuel stove fans  (Read 5183 times)

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
wood/multi-fuel stove fans
« on: December 16, 2017, 05:14:43 pm »
Thinking of getting one of these for our multi-fuel stove to help distribute heat around (and claims more fuel efficiency).

Question is. Does anyone here use one and if so what do you think of it?
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
Re: wood/multi-fuel stove fans
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 09:00:22 pm »
If you mean the stove top fans then we got one from Aldi. I'm not sure if they are effective at moving the heat around but it sits on top of our woodburner and spins around in a very jolly manner. I can't feel any warm air moving around even close up to it!

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 10:01:26 pm »
We have one, in a draught free room the convection off the stove is more effective than the output of the fan, but  it looks good , but it is a good indication of when more fuel is required !

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 03:46:22 pm »
Ours certainly sends the heat out of our ingle nook into the room ... but has recently developed a clicking noise which gets quite annoying.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 09:30:37 am »
We bought a cheap (£10) desk top fan and put it on the floor to the side of the fire. Certainly moved the air well- too well, because it cooled the fire casing off, the fire stopped drawing and then went out. The fire needed to be roaring before we could use it continuously and that made the room too hot.

We have friends with a proper stove top fan on their small narrowboat fire and they think it works well.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 10:13:30 am »
We looked into this a couple of years ago. A lot depends on the size of the wood burner in relation to the size of the space to be heated. The fans are most useful when there is  a large space and a relatively small stove. If you find that the back of your room is cold but the area close to the stove is too hot (even after an hour or so) then it is probably worth getting a fan. It will send the warm air away from the stove and into the rest of the room.

We moved into a house that already had a large wood burner. It warms the whole room very quickly so we didn't feel the need to spend £70 on a fan. They do look good though!

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 07:00:50 pm »
Thanks for the replies. Done a little research on the net and it seems you have to pay to get decent ones. The Valiant range get very good reviews. But i cannot afford £80+ for the four blade version. So i might go for the two blade version.
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS