Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: first baby goat!  (Read 6156 times)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: first baby goat!
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 05:41:42 pm »
thats the trouble, vet will not come out as they say he will be gassed... the kid, not the vet!
I thought they would but...

poor Geraldine will be here, crying.  I've checked with animal health - he can go in a crate, and doesn't need a AML1 form, just the journey recorded in our register as routine vet visit.
 I just hope they do it quickly and I can get him back to his mum.  he is nibbling hay, so should be ok without needing a bottle - I'd be concerned about keeping it the right temperature without breeding bugs.

So they can do both jobs, I'll be paying after all !
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2010, 05:51:16 pm »
Why does he need gassing?  Can't he just have a pain killing jab, and be sedated if need be.....never heard of a goat being gassed before. I remember years ago having gas as a child to have a tooth out.  It was not a nice feeling at all.  Poor little fella.

He will be fine without his mum.  After all, he will be asleep. 

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2010, 06:19:29 pm »
well, with our vets, you never know - they often say one thing but mean another , especially if there's a receptionist n the middle! But they are very good really.
  its probably the easiest form of sedation?
I'm slightly calmer about it now... so I'm sure it'll all be ok!!
Little Blue

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2010, 10:10:52 pm »
It is safer to get it done at the vets, yes they put them to sleep under gas but that way they can also get the back very quickly too.

Mine travelled in a dog crate in the back of the car, and it only takes 20 minutes to get done! Be prepared for the look, and in particular for the smell afterwards, I couldn't cope with the smell for the first one, but was ok when the two girls went in a few days later.

Also vet put the ring on the wee male, as he was under it was much easier. I normally do all my lambs myself, so no issue in doing it, but vet asked and didn't even charge for it...

Also keep checking him a few weeks afterwards for any re-growth, my two BT girls have had two disbuddings already, and one looks set to go in for No 3.... not very happy about it, but nothing I can do (and the vet is experienced, he has done loads of goat disbuddings in the 1980s....). If you plan to keep the boy as a pet in particular, horn growth after disbudding can be very irregular.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 12:19:35 pm »
Very cute  ;D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2010, 07:10:23 pm »
the little man has had all his horny bits dealt with today!
we took him in about 8:30, and fetched him out at 2pm
  they said he made more fuss over his b*lls than his horns!

and his poor mum was distraught until he was safely returned... then wouldnt let him settle to sleep (dopey on injections)but kept shoving him to his feet to sniff him.

relieved its done now...  and hoping the piglets are all girls!
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2010, 11:29:13 pm »
Glad it went well.  Poor Geraldine, she will be protective with it being her first kid too.  He will smell strange after being in the vets, and being dabbed with all sorts  of antiseptics and things.  Thats what she will be sniffing at.  Poor boy will want to sleep it off, and then feel rather sore in a couple of places.  His will have forgotten the castration by tomorrow, but not sure about the horns!!

We will send vibes over to make sure all the piglets are girls......but, even if male,  they will only need castrating, not dehorning, so not too bad?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS