Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: first baby goat!  (Read 6155 times)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
first baby goat!
« on: July 25, 2010, 08:30:41 pm »
Ours and Geraldine's first born... arrived today at 4:20pm
Mum and baby "Cravendale" (cos he's black and white like a cow!) both doing well after abit of confusion as to where to suckle.
think he's a boy
A "Bagonburg" or "Toggot" - Mum is pure Toggenburg, Dad a registered pedigree Bagot !

Little Blue

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: first baby goat!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 08:57:07 pm »
Well done mum and human mum :love:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 08:59:31 pm »
..I'm so proud!!  ;)
Little Blue

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 09:03:33 pm »
Definately a Bagonburg  ;) he's so sweet !
Congratulations and well done  :-*

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 10:03:08 pm »
What interesting colouring, definitely Bagonburg as said before. Congrats - and now MILKING! Have fun! Anke

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 11:11:36 pm »
Well done Geraldine on the arrival of your lovely kid!!  The kittens will enjoy a drop of goats milk, Little Blue .....

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 11:29:00 pm »
Oh at last! Well done to both of you. He is beautifully marked. Your first baby goat is something special.  Funny isn't it- our BT gave birth as well today! She is 3 1/2, and has been pregnant 4 times- but this is the only time we have got as far actually producing kids.

Bethx

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 11:56:43 pm »
He's lovely - congratulations!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 06:52:12 am »
Well done Ruth, love the pictures. :goat:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 10:01:55 am »
thanks all, Cesar's "mum" (ie previous owner!) is coming round soon, asked if Geraldine would prefer fruit or flowers! made me smile (and she prefers fruit, bananas mostly!)

congrats to you too then Beth, is yours as cute as ours??!!  ;)
Little Blue

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 11:01:42 pm »
Ours was really pale in colour, but his mum did not like him, and managed to squish him. So he is not with us any longer, and mum became much happier when he stopped moving  >:( He was cross BT/AN in any case, so no real use for breeding for us, but it was my partner's first kid, so he is disappointed.

Little blue, I noticed you asked about disbudding on the other forum- I didn't like to register there as I am not in the area! Nor am I living off the land really. Anyway, it is illegal for anyone other than a vet to disbud. We do our own, but of course mum is a qualified vet. I don't know that I could bring myself to do the disbudding when she is no longer capable, despite the fact that I am more experienced at disbudding then most vets. Your vet will want to disbud very young- if you do not thing he is big enough, then lie to the bet about how old he is. The last thing you want is to lose your kid by having him disbudded when he is too wee to cope with it.

If you have a local showing goatkeeper, you could ask them where or who they get to disbud their kids. Let us know how it goes.

Beth

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 12:46:03 am »
Oh dear, Beth, sorry about your kid being squashed......maybe mother goat wanted a female kid?  I know you did not really want him etc. but I am sure you did not want him squashing.  I have a cat that does that with some of her kittens.

I wonder why farmers can do disbudding of calves?  I know one man who goes round the farms doing their calves.  They are not done as early as goat kids, because he was very surprised at how quickly goats horns came through in comparison to calves.  He said he would not be happy doiing a goat kid due to the tiny size of its head and the risk involved.

Samantha

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Bristol
    • Merry Meet
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 08:45:33 am »
OMG thats too cute!!! congratulations!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 10:48:47 am »
thanks for advice on disbudding - books are always abit vague and of course I prefer the vet to do it - its just the journey that concerns me...
the receptionist asked if we had lamb rings to castrate  - I told her I want the vet to do it, she looked abit gone out. but I'm not a farmer! ;~)
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 03:14:18 pm »
Ruth, its quick and easy to do, and the vet will have it done in a jiffy.  I am sure he will have lamb rings. If he hasn't, go to the nearest sheep farmer, knock on the door, and ask him to do it.  They get big boxes of rings, and he can surely spare one out of his box, and do the job for you. Can you not have the vet out to do the disbudding.  My concern would be transporting a little goat kid, and bringing him back after its done.  What about Geraldine, presume she will stay at home?  Some years ago, one of my kids got ill and I had to take her and her brother to the vets, as he thought the other kid would catch the bug, so needed jabbing.  Poor mum was beside herself when we got back, thinking we had stolen her little kids.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS