Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Insurance  (Read 4157 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Insurance
« on: July 26, 2010, 09:18:16 am »
I've just had my insurance renewal in for Smokey. I've used Petplan Equine for years but the annual premium this year is £446. I've been shopping around - Kbis came back at £250 but last night I found one called E&L Insurance that was about £5 a month. Sounds great but I don't believe in free lunches - anyone any experience of thei company - good or bad - or any other recommendations?

Thanks

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Insurance
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 09:23:59 am »
I had E And L years ago, put me off insurance for animals for life!!!!

Hardfeather

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 10:48:33 am »
Don't do it.....!!!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 10:50:16 am by AengusOg »

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 10:50:15 am »
We use the NFU :)

Samantha

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Bristol
    • Merry Meet
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 10:52:49 am »
The NFU was recommended to me also . haven't heard anything discouraging about them

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 03:57:25 pm »
I have been insured with the NFU for many years, never made a claim either.  But, it got so expensive with the amount of ponies, I have recently cancelled all the ponies insurance, the tack, and the vet claims, everything.

I am in the BHS and you get public liability included with your membership, and also same with the BDS, so that will do me, and I do not have that horrendous montly payment for insurance.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 05:07:57 pm »
I have public liability and accident insurance through World Horse Welfare - it's only for vet's bills. I'm not bothered about my tack being isured or death insurance - if he's dead, he's dead. But a £5k vet's bill would be a bit hard to pay.

I'll pass on E&L then - I've had a quote frm Kbis, which is half the Petplan one, so I'll try NFU as well.

Thanks

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 02:20:29 pm »
I am with E&L but have never made a claim, I have heard bad reports but cant afford the likes of NFU etc.  I am also a gold member of BHS and a member of BDS and BHDT.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 05:09:59 pm »

I have my dogs with E&L but horses are with NFU, one had major surgery a few years ago and they paid up no bother, at the moment we have a claim in as he now has a spavin and is on Danalone, we are stockpiling it as claim ends in October. Bute would be cheaper but he finds it no matter how it is disguised and wont eat his feed.
Anne

skidley

• Joined Jan 2010
  • On the Marsh, Kent
    • Fairview Ginger Pigs
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 07:59:55 pm »
From both a customers and working in a vets point of view I wouldn't touch E&L with a barge pole!!

beany

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 03:45:33 pm »
Check with your vets first a lot of them will insist on payment up front if you insure with e and l. My job involves working with equine insurers and e and l are def bottom of the list.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS