Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Horse drivers?  (Read 14117 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Horse drivers?
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2010, 12:04:23 am »
Egglady, you should be able to pick up a cheap set of webbing harness - they are brilliant, cos you don't need to clean with saddle soap. You can wash it!!  We use webbing for everyday use, as the cleaning is so easy.

Pity you are not down here, we have webbing sets around I am sure.  How big is your cob - is he cob sized in bridles etc. or full?

lazybee

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2010, 02:27:15 pm »
Egglady, you should be able to pick up a cheap set of webbing harness - they are brilliant, cos you don't need to clean with saddle soap. You can wash it!!  We use webbing for everyday use, as the cleaning is so easy.

Pity you are not down here, we have webbing sets around I am sure.  How big is your cob - is he cob sized in bridles etc. or full?

I love webbing harness' I don't use anything else. Either a wet sponge or they get shoved in an old washing machine in the barn. I HATE CLEANING LEATHER. I'd rather be out driving, but I don't go to shows. I love thrashing down tracks getting covered in mud.  :horse:

lazybee

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2010, 02:55:34 pm »
hello Sam,
            I wonder if you have anymore pics of the carriage that you could put up for me please , as it is exactly the sort I want to make for my babies to use. I have no money so could never afford a new one , or even a ropey secondhand one come to that !!!
  No worries if nothing available , I can work out the main bits from the pic anyway ... roughly !!

cheers

Russ

Hello Russ, Just a couple of notes if you're planning on making some sort of carriage. If you end up making a two wheeler it's quite difficult to get the balance right. You really have to aim for no more than a few ounces of weight forward bias at the tugs. That's with you sitting in the seat. I have a home made one and it is well balanced. To be honest though by the time you've had the shafts bent to the right shape and find a trailer axle with good tyres, then covered the seat. Not to mention the welding rods, grinding discs, paint and steel (best not to use scrap on the structural bits). It works out more expensive. Then there's the safety for both you and the horse. The shafts have to be part of the chassis if they are welded on there will be a weak point at the heat affected area. Personally I would buy an old secondhand training cart and re-build it.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2010, 09:11:13 pm »
cheers lb,
      I have a number of choices really . I have a few books with plans for two wheelers of all sorts, the old wooden type , from old farm tippers to governess carts , and wagons of all descriptions . I have access to plenty of Ash Oak and a few other hardwoods and plenty of softwood . Bending the shafts is no real problem and would do that myself . I can make the larger old style axle from wood and have the axle stubs to take the wheels or go more modern and use all metal axles . I have an old one from about the 1900's  , will dig it out and take a piccy . For wheels I can use a car or van axle and wheels, or make metal ones , or even cast military ones out of aluminium . I am almost set up now to make wooden ones too .
At the moment I am tending to go towards the old two wheeled tipper . As it is very versatile for the holding , can carry muck , stone, hay, straw etc etc , or me to the shop when I need to  . The woodwork is no problem for me , and I have the forge now , to make all the metalwork myself . The only thing I don't have at the moment is a tyre bender , so would have to use the old system of strakes on wooden wheels , ok on heavy farm type wheels .
 Oh and I don't use grinding discs...hate the bloody things , scare the living carp out of me  :o .... so I use files .. the old way  ::).
 All the timber for a little tipper is free as is any metal I need to use , bar , rod or flat section . Yes it is all scrap , but not thin rusted away scrap , but good solid stuff is all I collect.
At this moment in time I couldn't afford £50 for anything ... but got plenty of wood and metal , and all the tools I need so over the winter I will be putting something together...I am fed up with walking !!!  ;D ;D 

cheers

Russ

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS