Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Horse drivers?  (Read 14116 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Horse drivers?
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 05:02:35 pm »
ponyntrap, where are you?

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 08:48:52 pm »
ponyntrap, where are you?

I'm here!!  ;D 

I'm in Aberdeenshire if you mean where do I live!!  Have just been checking out the latest posts, am liking the Dales....a lot!!

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 08:56:53 pm »
Roxy, is your trap a Hillam?

I have a Hillam for everyday driving and a Cumbria Carriage 3 phase (complete with bent bits!) for competing, Odinn hasnt been in it for over a year, just need to sort out some Tilbury Tugs then we can start practising for Dressage and cones on 18th Aug!!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 11:52:20 pm »
Ponyntrap - yes thats a Hillam in the pic.  Will add another pic at the bottom of this post, showing the other Hillam, which for some reason is bigger, and you are higher up. I like the Hillam, and that one in the first pic is ancient now.  We had it years ago, and it was second hand then.  Cannot fault it.  We have used them on a variety of sizes as they do adjust, which is good. 

Thats Molly in the pic, my riding mare.  We do showing in hand with her over the summer months.

This pic was taken by the professional photograher at the Dales and Fell show in Derbyshire.

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2010, 08:23:41 am »
Very nice!

Unfortunately when John Hillam made mine he made it the same spec as the other one I had which was heavy horse size so i have a wide axle, otherwise I would be showing him in that, mind you, might be worth a try for experience eh!

Samantha

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Bristol
    • Merry Meet
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2010, 08:52:48 am »
Oh My he is adorable!! what a stunner!

I appreciate your not wanting to be part of the rat race and commend you for making your stuff... :)

I am a member of a driving club in my area which I think costs me £10 or £13 per year ... a lot of stuff gets traded between members as the driving community I find really do try to help each other out. Perhaps your local driving club may know of someone who has a harness that can be traded for something else?

Apart from that and looking for a cheap deal on some of the equestrian sites (and of course making it yourself) Im not sure what else to suggest but hope you find what you need :)

Sam

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2010, 01:17:01 pm »
I have added a Hillam Shetland Trap to my Christmas list in the hope my OH will take the hint. I break the Shetlands to drive but my exercise cart was too heavy so sold it. I used to drive my big horse. A local man in Huntly made her carriage which was for showing, very smart. Not sure if he is still alive as it was 18 years ago.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2010, 01:50:52 pm »
this thread has given me the bug!!!  anyone near me if Fife that would like to help me get started please?  i have 2 cobs, both of whom have been long reined regularly....it's the next part i'm a bit anxious about!

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2010, 04:01:06 pm »
this thread has given me the bug!!!  anyone near me if Fife that would like to help me get started please?  i have 2 cobs, both of whom have been long reined regularly....it's the next part i'm a bit anxious about!

Egglady, have you driven before?  there is Maryculter Carriage Driving Centre in Aberdeen, Jane does a 3 day package, you stay in a self contained flat (she does stock the fridge I believe) might be worth a look, she has a website.  I actually work for Jane and can vouch that she is EXCELLENT!!  She is just off to Holker Hall in Cumbria for a National Horse Driving Trials Event, her hubby is competing and she is judging the 4 most advanced dressage tests, not him though!!

Hardfeather

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2010, 06:42:10 pm »

I'm yer man...

I break horses to drive and work on a driving yard. I'd definitely be interested in helping you get going. I'll PM you my contact details and we could have a chat about it...no strings.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2010, 06:52:55 pm »
oh all excited now!  dont think i can do 3 days away to aberdeen as not fair to leave hubby with work, children and animals -so sadly that one isnt a go-er.....but if angusog is 'my man' then i cannae wait!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2010, 12:05:54 am »
Go for it, Egglady ....you will enjoy it!!

We are just breaking one of our young Dales ponies to harness at the moment, and have a young Fell filly too, to break.  Have done a friends outgrown Welsh Section A too, and will be having him back to do more work on him.  Keep getting enquiries from people who want to learn to drive, but we are busy with our own ponies, and have to fit it in around that.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2010, 05:53:49 pm »
weel folks, i woke up at 3am this morning and realised that i had the PERFECT horse right under my nose.  an 18 yo welsh cob who is totally bomb proof - i almost think (not that i would ever do such a thng) but if i were to put the full it on him today he wouldnt bother - you know that kind of horse?

so aengus - where are you?

and does anyone know of anyone with spare kit that they'd sell me cheap as chips - or barter for lamb/duck/chicken/eggs/veggies....children????

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2010, 07:39:59 pm »
AengusOg is based near Arbroath.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2010, 08:34:28 pm »
that'll do for me!  (used to live in arbroath)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS