Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello ???? from Inverurie  (Read 2577 times)

Ksm177

• Joined Dec 2017
Hello ???? from Inverurie
« on: December 08, 2017, 12:18:35 pm »
Hi Guys,

New to this Forum after coming across it on google whilest doing some research.

I’m thinking of starting up a small contracting business with an atv, my intentions would be people or business which only have 1-2 acres or areas which bigger machinery would find difficult to get in or manoeuvre.

The services I would be offering would be topping/flail, spraying, rolling, harrowing, paddock vacuuming, re-seeding and tree surgery.

I’m just looking for some advice if this is something that people would be interested in? I’ve already got a budget for some of the equipment. some of the stuff I already have due to family and close friends being in the equine/ agriculutural side of life ????

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
Re: Hello ???? from Inverurie
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 10:01:58 am »
Hi, I hope the snow has stopped with you! I'm sure your business venture could be successful - a lot of agricultural contractors have such big machines that can't get into some of the smaller parks that smallholders and horsey people have. The only thing in Aberdeenshire is the distances you might have to cover! When we first started up here we had to buy our own haymaking equipment as the bigger contractors made big bales and we couldn't handle them. As the years have gone by and the summershave got wetter wwe've found it more cost effective (and a lot less stressful) to get a local farmer to cut, turn, make big bales then make haylage. We now have a tractor just about big enough to handle them. The farmer stacks them for us too. I've seen a move to wrap smaller bales of hay - there are some small balers and wrappers now - which might be desirable to smallholders/horsey folk who would otherwise waste a lot of fodder with a big bale. Good luck with your venture - I hope you spot the gap in the market!

morayjohny

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 05:04:22 am »
Hi we're near Keith and would certainly be interested in this kind of thing. Currently a local farmer cuts and bales our 5 acres but we always feel awkward when asking and the grass could do with a little tlc to keep in good condition.

Let us know if your plans come to fruition.

Cheers

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 07:34:13 pm »
Brilliant idea KSM177, as Scotsdumpy says is the distance factor in Aberdeenshire, but I'm sure with careful planning its doable, Good Luck, Advertise well

Ksm177

• Joined Dec 2017
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 10:37:58 pm »
Thanks Guys!

Distance was one thing I was thinking and I’m still thinking on a way that would be feesable!

One thing I’m not wanting to get too big to quick and would rather start off with a few things and seeing how things go from there.

I’ve already got a atv and sprayer with a 3m boom. Just have to go through my spraying ticket which I will do in the new year. Roller is at my mates farm which I have access to anytime.

As for the hay and bake handling this is something I did think about but wasn’t sure if there would be a market for it? I’m geussing by what you are saying the fields would be big enough for a compact tractor but not a full size one?

This has gave me the idea of something to invest in in the future depending on how well things go.

I’m assuming social media such as Facebook would be the best for advertising? As this is used by just about everyone throughout the world.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 04:15:23 pm »
We could really do with someone with a bit of kit beefy enough to tackle rushes. Our nearest neighbour has a mower for behind his tractor but he says it wouldn't cope as they are quite big clumps. The other thing I would love to get done is some subsoiling to improve drainage.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Ksm177

• Joined Dec 2017
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 09:51:58 am »
I have actually been enquiring about a mower that will tackle big rushes. But is not to big that it makes the small areas impossible to get to. I should have more info by the end of the week.

Ksm177

• Joined Dec 2017
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 11:46:33 am »
Hi guys,

Hope everyone had a good Christmas and new year!

Just an update with where I’m at. I’m going to be fully set up and registered by the end of Janraury middle of February. Will be fully insured and all relevant courses in place to cover me doing various tasks.

I’ve sourced a mower that can handle thick bull rushes and gorse and can also do light forestry mulching. The mower can also be used in boggy land and steep hills.

Other services which I will be providing are as follows :

Slug pelleting
Chemical spraying
Fertilising
Snow clearing and gritting
Mowing
Harrowing
Arena levelling
Paddock clearing
Rolling
Tree felling
Logging

I look forward to hearing your replies and if this interests anyone please send me a message and we can discuss prices etc.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 09:56:11 pm »
Good to see you've taken the plunge. Good luck.
RTB

Ksm177

• Joined Dec 2017
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 10:14:48 pm »
Hi Guys,

Keep and eye out over the next couple of weeks for the new Facebook Page for KSM ATV Contracting & Tree Felling.

There has been a lot going on with advertisement and it will all be on the page from photos to small videos showing what we can do.

Would really appreciate it if people on here could like and share it once it has gone live

Ksm177

• Joined Dec 2017
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 05:19:20 pm »
That’s the Facebook page up and running now under KSM ATV Contracting & Tree Felling.

Give us a like and share .... thanks

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS