Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Could I see pictures of your hen houses please?!  (Read 11045 times)

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Could I see pictures of your hen houses please?!
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 10:28:18 pm »
Those £109 sheds at b n q etc are just junk. the chooks could run through them. never mind what a half decent wind will do. thing will be in the next Field. better building one from channel lining, will last way longer..
Craig

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 11:01:56 pm »
Sorry but i would disagree,i have had two of those sheds for 2 years now with no problems at all,my hens love it lots of space and so easy to clean and collect eggs.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 11:35:44 pm »
Yes, I disagree too, I have moved a few times and have bought these at each new abode - they have always been very stable and quite substantial. 
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2010, 12:01:38 am »
ok lol its not the lap larch ones then?
Craig

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2010, 11:15:49 am »
Yes.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2010, 01:46:38 pm »
Thing is, you can spend a lot on some fancy coop & it'll probably still leak like a sieve in heavy rain.

B&Q sheds are cheap for a reason, but are easily improved & your hens will be as happy as they would be in some £250+ designer coop

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2010, 06:51:29 pm »
It depends I spose how exposed you are as to what your ideal chicken shed would be constructed out of.  We have massive winds here on the coast, we almost lost a 16"x10" shed full of tools last year to the winds, it was lifted and moved off the slab until we tied it down.

Our chicken shed is an old caravan chassis with builders ply sides, two broom handles for perches and 4 boxes for laying.  We have ten chooks and they seem to like it fine.

We have also got 20 or so racket straps holding the netting pen to the floor cos when its windy - its windy!

As long as they have shelter, enough room, a few boxes and enough perching space for all them I dont think you can go wrong.  The hardest thing I find about making stuff for the yard is that it doesnt have to be an exact design job, just do enough over engineering for it too last.

Ta

Baz

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2010, 07:58:21 pm »
That in a sheltered area the doganjo? OK I think I was a little Miss understood here. OK its a cheap shed with enough room for the hens everyone is happy, but would you keep your tools in it or the lawn mower or bikes. maybe me being a shed and hen house builder I was comparing a little to much to my products, lol sorry if i offended anyone

Craig
Craig

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2010, 09:52:06 pm »
I have used these sheds in various situations, no harm has come to them in any of the weather in North East Scotland.  OK they are cheap but not nasty and if you are on a budget they are fine.  If I had a big income coming in and wasn't bothered about how much my hens or my dogs cost me, then I'd maybe buy a better quality coop, but it would need to be one I could stand up in to clean out.  For my dogs and puppies I line the inside with ply and stuff polystyrene between that and the shed walls.  The hens don't need that.  I put a large overlapping sheet of vinyl on the floor and for the dogs a platform half way up with their fibre glass bed and bedding underneath so if it's warm they can go on the shelf. The birds have a shelf along one long side and plastic basins for nesting boxes with straw on the floor.

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2010, 10:15:21 pm »
suppose im just lucky and build mine myself with any off cuts etc, the floor in my coop slides out like a drawer so cleaning is not a problem. Its all at waste height aswell. I know that the price of them sheds are great for what they are being used for, personaly I would pay or build a far superior building. with a long life expectancy, thus saving the need to cut so many trees down. you Aberdeen way?

Craig
Craig

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2010, 10:16:42 pm »
Used to be, Craig - between Inverurie and Huntly, 2 miles off A96, now in Central Scotland.  Since I'm 66, female and on my own, I can't build things like chicken coops ;D ;D ;D

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2010, 12:55:36 am »
very good point doganjo, Im new round here so wouldnt know, Although I must be nearing my 3rd star, and they say woman can yap. So what other animals you got?

Craig
Craig

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2010, 10:53:46 am »
very good point doganjo, Im new round here so wouldnt know, Although I must be nearing my 3rd star, and they say woman can yap. So what other animals you got?

Craig
5 :dog:, 1  :cat:, 4 :&>, 4 :chook: about to get 6 more ex-batt  :chook:  My son and son-in-law help with the manual chores sometimes when they can spare time from work, and my 3 grandchildren love coming to help feed the animals.  We had a family day yesterday putting up the new trampoline I bought for them.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 10:56:14 am by doganjo »

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2010, 05:02:47 pm »
Superb doganjo. You have a good day then? if I was a little closer Id gladly lend you a little hand now and then. thats just the kinda bloke i am lol.

Craig
Craig

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2010, 06:47:45 pm »
Superb doganjo. You have a good day then? if I was a little closer Id gladly lend you a little hand now and then. thats just the kinda bloke i am lol.

Craig
I'm rather glad you aren't closer.  It would appear form your pin on the members map that you are in the middle of the North Sea ::) ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS